Blueberry bushes?

bamagirl68

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
silkieboxerluv said:
Does anyone know where to get some-less than 15 dollars a plant though? I found were to buy roots but they go by 2 3 or 4 year plants whats going to be the difference? Any help would be great.:)
Where are you? If you will pay for shipping, I'll send ya some! I have hundreds, maybe thousands!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mine are putting on maybe 6" per year, but they're fighting winterkill and a short growing season - where you are, they may do as much as 10-12" per year. They prune ok but remember the less branch area, the fewer berries :) (And as far as growth rate goes, remember that having a couple branches reach the 4' mark is NOT the same as having a bushy 4' bush, which will take quite a lot longer ;))

Have fun,

Pat, inadvertant killer of buzzes <g>

bamagirl68

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Four foot?? I have some that you need a ladder to pick! When my hubby bought the place they had an established 'orchard' (not sure if that's what you call it, being blueberries) We cut back all but 3 rows last year and they are growing back quite well. We have good soil here too. And lots of rain this year!:happy_flower

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bamagirl68 said:
Four foot?? I have some that you need a ladder to pick!
Yeah, I know! The ones I picked from where very jungle-y. But I was thinking that if you trained them persistently, they might make a pretty decent hedge. I planted one sort of near the house (perhaps, ill-advised.)

But, shoot. It's just a bush. I figure if it doesn't act how I want, I can just hack it down! It don't scare me none! :D

Cassandra

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
FWIW, the blueberry bushes in the deep south are often rabbiteye blueberries (not highbush), which can get much taller :)

North of about Baltimore, I'm not sure I've seen any blueberry bushes taller than about 5-6 feet.

Pat

MsMagnolia

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
bamagirl68 said:
Four foot?? I have some that you need a ladder to pick!
Yeah, I know! The ones I picked from where very jungle-y. But I was thinking that if you trained them persistently, they might make a pretty decent hedge. I planted one sort of near the house (perhaps, ill-advised.)

But, shoot. It's just a bush. I figure if it doesn't act how I want, I can just hack it down! It don't scare me none! :D

Cassandra
Cassandra,

Here is MSU's Web site for info on growing rabbiteye and southern highbush blueberries.
http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p1758.pdf

You will need Adobe Reader. If you don't have it, get it here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Shortly after moving to Mississippi in '86, and if my memory serves me correctly, we planted six varieties of blueberries: Climax, Delite, Premier, Southland, Tifblue, and Woodard (one "twig" was eaten by the tiller and I suppose the other two died from drought). The remaining three have become very large shrubs that bear profusely. The wild rabbits love them and so do our chickens. Blueberries make the best drop dumplings, etc. I make my own baking mix (e.g., Bisquick or Pioneer). These dumplings aren't the strips that's used for making chicken dumplings. This is a sweet dough that's dropped into boiling berry syrup.

TIP: Freeze freshly picked blueberries without washing.

"Blueberry bushes make great landscape plants. They bloom in the spring, give fruit in early summer, make a nice green hedge throughout the summer and then the leaves turn maroon in the fall. Always plant more than one variety for improved pollination." --MSUcares

Evelyn

Dixiedoodle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I know many people don't think you should purchase fruit trees from Lowes, Home Depot etc.. but ours has really nice var., healthy plants and the cost is good. I purchased 4 different plants, 12yrs ago (before I was told it was a no-no) , from Lowe's and every one has lived, produced and has been diease free. The next summer, I got three pints off of 4 bushes, the next yr. they were loaded and only slowed down during our drought..

I also purchased 4 plants from our Ag dept and were just little twigs, took much longer to start to grow and produce--being younger plants. I lost one, but now I can not look and tell which are which..

silkieboxerluv

Leafing Out
Reaction score
bamagirl68 said:
silkieboxerluv said:
Does anyone know where to get some-less than 15 dollars a plant though? I found were to buy roots but they go by 2 3 or 4 year plants whats going to be the difference? Any help would be great.:)
Where are you? If you will pay for shipping, I'll send ya some! I have hundreds, maybe thousands!
WoW that would be way to cool my zipcode is 48191 let me know what the cost is-paypal or check doesnt matter.

Thanks!!!!!!!!:D

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Bama....I may be interested too. What zone are your plants best in? Let me know
Tink

bamagirl68

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Zone 8 .Quite hot here and I am thinking we might should wait til fall???? I'd hate for you to pay shipping on them and them to not live:( I'll leave that up to ya'll. You can PM me and let me know. And I'll check those rates and pm you back to give you rates. Might could see how many I could get in a flat rate box. Think it's $8 something now?