Bread maker

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
For Xmas wife found bread maker marked down from $60 to $15-Kenmore.

What is your favorite bread to make-recipe please.

Most recipes provided ask for dry milk, really? What is difference between milk and combo of water/dry milk?

Anything else I should know, please add.

First attempt under way now.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There's no difference between regular milk and a combo of dry milk and water.

We eat a lot of baked goods, but somehow manage to stay in shape. We make all of our bread in the oven, but I'm sure you could adapt the recipe to fit your needs. We have recipes for banana bread, cranberry-eggnog bread, pumpkin bread, and all sorts of other stuff. I could fetch you some of the recipes if you want.

Does anybody know what has to be in the bread/can't be in the bread to make it work in a bread maker?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bread machine is the best thing ever. I am on my 2nd one-they last a long time. I always made bread when my kids were little. I make my own spelt bread for the benefits of spelt. Spelt needs some experimenting to come out right.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
What I remember from my bread machine days is that the measurements have to be exact and there is a certain order that the ingredients need to be added to the canister. Lesa uses a bread machine every day if I remember right. I'm sure she can be a lot more help.

ETA- Oh there you go, Cat's a bread machine expert too!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have a bunch of breakmaker recipes, I'll look sometime next week when I'm at home. We go in phases of using ours a bunch, then just forgetting about it for weeks or months. One thing we use it a lot for is pizza dough, takes an hour and a half, so if we start it right when we get home from work its ready to go about dinner time.

I think one thing I would recommend is checking the consistency of your dough after about 15 minutes of it mixing. Since I don't follow recipes very well, I check to make sure I didn't get too much/too little liquid. There's a window of opportunity to fix any mistakes like that by adding flour or water. You really want it to look like a somewhat dry-ish round dough ball, not gooey.

I think ours had a quick bread or sweet bread setting, but I found it easier to just put those in the oven. I think I like the size and shape and moistness of the sweet breads (like banana or zucchini) better in my regular glass bread dishes.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In most our recipes the dough is gooey and extra thick. We're gluten-free, corn-free, and potato-free. So they probably wouldn't work with a bread maker.

I love zucchini bread, how could I forget about one of my favorites!? We make butternut bread with chocolate chips in it, sometimes we add an egg-nog glazing on top.:drool

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
In most our recipes the dough is gooey and extra thick. We're gluten-free, corn-free, and potato-free. So they probably wouldn't work with a bread maker.

I love zucchini bread, how could I forget about one of my favorites!? We make butternut bread with chocolate chips in it, sometimes we add an egg-nog glazing on top.:drool
There you go Seed. Making me hungry and I just ate lunch!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only thing I remember about the bread machine. ( I lost mine in the house fire 6 years ago and never replaced it.) Was.... the loaves where never full. I think I tended to not get the water (liquid) temps right for the yeast. Too cool or too hot! :confused: So bread did not rise properly.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is best to follow the recipes that come with your machine.
Here is my spelt recipe that I could on line that is great. I have made changes that have worked out. It did not come with my machine but works beautifully.

Here are my changes:
I use all sprout spelt flour, honey, and olive oil. I add about a cup of pumpkin and also add raisons.I add water to the pumpkin to equal the required water. I do find I need to add a little extra water when I do this. I just drizzle a little more in so it does not look dry. This makes the bread sweeter and it stays moist a lot longer.
Sprouted spelt digests like a vegetable. It does have gluten.

Perfect Bread Machine Spelt Bread
By Chef UK on April 14, 2008

picIMGfd0.jpg

Photo by Rick429CJ

star40.png
4 Reviews
  • timer.png
  • Prep Time: 5 mins
  • Total Time: 4 hrs 5 mins
  • Serves: 12, Yield: 1 loaf of c12 slices
About This Recipe
"My husband's quest to find a recipe which produces light, fluffy (rather than solid and dense) spelt bread from a bread machine has finally paid off. He did lots of experimenting, and this one has produced consistently good results. Update: can't see how to respond to the review which found the bread heavy, so responding here. If you definitely used WHITE spelt flour, not wholewheat, then it sounds as though perhaps different bread machines get different results? :-( However, there is one other possibility. Did you use fast action dried yeast, suitable for breadmakers? Or Dried active yeast which is for hand baking? We were using the former. The other thing my husband suggested trying, if you're using the correct flour and yeast, is to try upping the amount of yeast you're using, and see if that helps. You could also try upping the amount of water slightly, but try each solution separately first :) My husband's number one rule, stemming from his scientific background :) Hope one of these tips work, and not that it is the bread machine themselves (ours is a Panasonic SD255)"

Ingredients
    • 2 cups white spelt flour
    • 2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
    • 2 1/2 teaspoons fast-rising active dry yeast ( 6g)
    • 1 1/2 cups tepid water
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 2 tablespoons sugar
    • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions
  1. Add water to bread machine, then oil, then flour, then salt, then sugar, then yeast.
  2. Set on "Normal" setting (which is 4 hours), with small loaf and light crust settings.
  3. NB: If you use wholegrain spelt rather than wholemeal, then reduce the yeast to 1.5 slightly rounded teaspoons (about 3.5g).

Page 2 of 2Perfect Bread Machine Spelt Bread (cont.)
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 (37 g)

Servings Per Recipe: 12

Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Calories 36.2
Calories from Fat 22
61%
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2.4g
3%
Saturated Fat 0.3g
1%
Cholesterol 0.0mg
0%
Sugars 2.1 g
Sodium 195.9mg
8%
Total Carbohydrate 3.1g
1%
Dietary Fiber 0.6g
2%
Sugars 2.1 g
8%
Protein 1.0g
2%
© 2014 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved. http://www.food.com/298300

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
First loaf out. Loaf didn't rise correct. Dense! Yeast didn't kick in. Don't really taste yeast. Next time I'll check expiration date. One ugly loaf!

Thanks cat, I'll use this loaf for French toast-one slice gives you enough food for day. :) I'll try the suggestions.

Wife is buying some yeast for bread machine. Try again, French toast for supper....

Last edited:

Latest posts