Bread maker

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think I had a Kenmore in the past that worked, or at least it was one I bought at sears.

I've made a lot of bread by hand but would be interested in knowing what brands/models of bread machines work well for folks.

I sort of share cat's concern that maybe seedcorn's model wasn't the bargain it seemed! Can you tell if it is getting warm during the interval when it is supposed to be rising? That might explain why the yeast isn't able to do its job. Good luck troubleshooting!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Its true, i dont always measure, but bread is tricky that way. I do measure the basic ingredients, but of course modify by adding different things! A recipe never gets made the same way twice here!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Measuring is key with a bread machine. There is bread machine yeast though I find I can use either. Do I remember correctly that you posted that you guess in measuring? Warm your liquid before adding to the machine. Are you using the recipes that came with the machine? This is also key as they have been tested on your particular machine. If you do not have the recipe book for the machine you should be able to find it online. Another thought is the price may have been reduced so much because it was a return that did not work. I think I had a Kenmore in the past that worked, or at least it was one I bought at sears.
Yes, follow directions to T. (Amazing for me). Do warm milk to desired 115. Use bread flour, yeast for bread machine. Just have to bake in oven. Really believe just not enough rise time.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn, bread baked in the oven is sooooo much better! I only use my machine to make the dough.

PhilaGardener, I have a Zojirushi that I use weekly. I bought it for $35 and the seller told me it was selling on amazon for $250. I checked and sure enough it was. It was a steal. It was obvious she had only used it a couple of times and had just moved to a new place. I really like it but I have only made the basic types of bread. Haven't used it for all the stuff it can do.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, follow directions to T. (Amazing for me). Do warm milk to desired 115. Use bread flour, yeast for bread machine. Just have to bake in oven. Really believe just not enough rise time.
Does you bread machine have many different menu settings? If it does not then it's probably just not sophisticated enough. Mine has 16 different settings sand with thin that are 3 loaf size choices and 3 crust type choices. It is a cuisanart and not that expensive seeing that they used to be $250.00 when they first came out. Still, mixing it in the Maker and then baking it in the oven still is easier.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes. 3'sized leaves. 3 loaf colors and a bunch of different settings.

Book says I may need to add more liquid. Maybe it won't give me real light airy bread. Going to let it make dough, then place in bread pans and allow more rise time.

Book says to never place yeast in liquid. Anyone know why? When you do it by hand, you do to proof it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn, I know it can be very frustrating when you first start making bread. As far as I know, cold and hot temperatures can kill the yeast and that is why you don't want it to have contact with the liquids, especially if you are using milk straight from the fridge.

I have a book where the bakers tested over 1,000 breads on many different machines. These bakers also made bread warming and not warming the liquids and they found no significant difference in the two. I don't warm mine up. It's just easier. Are you using any salt? Salt affects the time it takes the dough to rise and the strength of the gluten formed. Salt free bread will rise more rapidly but not as high. Avoid adding the yeast directly on top of the salt or vice versa.

Make just the dough and let it rise in your warm oven and then bake it in the oven. If the bread comes out good, I think your machine is ok. If not, I would begin to wonder if your machine is defective.

Hope I helped a little.
Mary

Latest posts