Bread maker

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tasted ok. Made French toast with it. 2 pieces and I don't need to eat for 24 hours.......did I mention it was dense?

I'm stubborn enough to keep trying.

Wife bought local brand of "highly active yeast" designed for bread machine. Will try again after storm goes through.

I did as recipe said to start with warm milk.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do think machines are different and you make the bread differently. I just use my milk straight from the fridge. Hopefully your next bread will be perfect!

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, Carol Dee, I have to think there was something wrong with your recipe. Maybe the ingredient measurements were off?
I've used recipes that didn't come out good at all, and turns out it wasn't always pilot error.
There is a difference in bread machines, I've had two different brands and the quality of bread was different in each one.
You know, Carol Dee, I have to think there was something wrong with your recipe. Maybe the ingredient measurements were off?
I've used recipes that didn't come out good at all, and turns out it wasn't always pilot error.
There is a difference in bread machines, I've had two different brands and the quality of bread was different in each one.
I was using boxed mixes! After awhile I lost my enthusiasm and when the machine went never replaced it. :(

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't give up....I am on the way to bed- but I will check in tomorrow with my recipe and a few tips. I love making bread!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gluten free? Corn free? Potato free? Ok SeedO, you'll have to start another thread and post recipes.

Sure thing! What kind of recipes would you like, Bay? Ma doesn't really stick to her recipe most times, she experiments with different types of flour depending on what's there. Just let me know what kind of recipe you'd like and I'll see how fast I can get it up! Muffins, bread, pie crust? We have many others.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with the others on baking it out of the machine. Never comes out right, if you use the machine for baking. Wheat gluten is a must. If you want slicing bread, it seems the only way to go. Fresh yeast is important...you can test it in warm water to make sure it is alive. Keep trying!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure thing! What kind of recipes would you like, Bay? Ma doesn't really stick to her recipe most times, she experiments with different types of flour depending on what's there. Just let me know what kind of recipe you'd like and I'll see how fast I can get it up! Muffins, bread, pie crust? We have many others.
Bread, pie crust, muffins will do for starters! lol

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I MADE THESE TONIGHT FOR HAMBURGER ROOLS. I CUT THE RECIPE IN HALF. WARM ROLLS FOR A HAMBURGER! Just as easy as they described. I mixed them in the bread machine let them rise for 15 min.after forming them, made 4 rolls out of the half. and baked them in the oven. They were as light and fluffy as promised. Spelt tends to be dense so this was a great find.

30 Minute Spelt Rolls That Are Light & Airy!
Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 12 rolls

Serving Size: 1 roll

Ingredients

• 1 cup plus 2 tbsp warm water
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 2 tbsp dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup organic sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 1/2 cup spelt flour, sprouted spelt flour or white spelt flour (any of these would work)
  • poppy or sesame seeds
Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. In your mixer bowl combine water, coconut oil, yeast and sugar. Mix and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
  3. Using your dough hook attachment, mix in the salt, egg and flour. Knead with hook until dough is smooth and soft (about 2 minutes).
  4. Form dough into 12 balls and place into a greased 9"x13" pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
  6. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle some poppy or sesame seeds on top.
Notes

Recipe inspired by RealMomKitchen.com

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tried again. Still doesn't rise even with yeast for bread machine. Machine doesn't give it enough time to rise. So will use it for making dough, then transfer to oven.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Measuring is key with a bread machine. There is bread machine yeast though I find I can use either. Do I remember correctly that you posted that you guess in measuring? Warm your liquid before adding to the machine. Are you using the recipes that came with the machine? This is also key as they have been tested on your particular machine. If you do not have the recipe book for the machine you should be able to find it online. Another thought is the price may have been reduced so much because it was a return that did not work. I think I had a Kenmore in the past that worked, or at least it was one I bought at sears.

Latest posts