Buford T. Justice Baymule’s LGD

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Couple of days ago, I sat down with a glass of iced tea and was looking out the window. Buford was zigzagging around in the field, playing. He pounced. I saw a flash of white. Cattle egret? Lamb? The white flashed again and Buford pounced again. I was out the door and running. I don’t run so good, but I was doing my best imitation.

Buford had a lamb. It was my tiny triplet ewe lamb, Dandelion. I lost it. I don’t hit my dogs, but I slapped Buford across the face, hard. I grabbed him on both sides by the scruff of his neck, yelling and shaking him. I was so mad. I dragged him up to the lamb, steadily scolding. I put him in the kennel. I took him out the next morning to let him potty, on a leash. Took him in the ewe pen and gave him a lamb lesson. I picked up Dandelion, put her under his nose, told him No. Mine. Mine. Not yours. I put him back in the kennel.

After I fed yesterday evening and closed up the sheep for the night, I let Buford out with Sentry and Sheba. I fed them, let them play for a couple of hours, then put Buford in a small pen next to the ewes and lambs. I have about 8 ewes due in June and July, so he will be in the pen next to them. I’ll give him lamb lessons daily and pen him when they are out on the field. I’ll let him out with the ram and his 7 ladies. Any time on the field with the ewe crew and lambs will be closely supervised.

I was hoping he was out of the teenage stupids, but it’s back. We go back to the beginning and start all over. Goofball.
Sorry about the lamb :(
When we got our dogs both killed chickens until they were trained not to. And you are far more experienced than I was so I k own Buford will get trained well.
Now I just need to train her not to eat the eggs 😂

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, did Buford kill the lamb? It wasn't clear to me. Oh sorry if he did. You aren't afraid that he will bite you when you are disclplening him?

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. Know you will get Buford trained.
He didn’t kill the lamb, he was playing with her. But that can kill lambs. Dandelion is fine. Buford is in a pen next to the ewes and lambs. He doesn’t get to go out in the field with ewes and lambs now.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, did Buford kill the lamb? It wasn't clear to me. Oh sorry if he did. You aren't afraid that he will bite you when you are disclplening him?

Mary
Nope, she is fine, none the worse for “play”.
No I am not afraid that he will bite me. I am the Alpha. I am the pack leader. I have knocked him off his feet, rolled him, sat on him, grabbed his throat with both hands, shook him, while growling fiercely.

I watch Sentry and Sheba put him in his place, they bite him, don’t draw blood, but subdue him. Sometimes they get real serious and Buford starts squalling, yelping and crying. There is not a bite mark on him, but you’d swear they were killing him. LOL

In this picture, Sentry had just snarled and snapped at Buford. Buford hit the dirt and rolled over, showing his vulnerability. Belly up, an adversary could rip his guts out. Buford is submitting to Sentry.

IMG_3871.jpeg

In this picture, Sheba is seemingly tearing Buford’s head off. She makes a LOT of noise, chomps on him, but makes no bite marks. Sometimes she really trashes him. If I’m petting her and Buford tries to horn in on her attention, she will snarl and jump on him.

IMG_3793.jpeg

Dog discipline and pack order looks savage, and occasionally it is.

I don’t bite Buford, I express my anger loudly, I shake him, I’ve raised my arms up to look bigger and roared. He knows when he is in trouble and draws his lips back, showing teeth in a silly grin. He’s so darn cute and looks so funny that it’s hard not to laugh.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I go through this when we bring in a new critter. I have to tell the dogs, for example... "that's my kittty, not yours!" they are pretty good about it. After a couple of days the dogs figure out the critter is supposed to be here. I guess the newness wears off, then they protect it.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I left to haul off trash. Dandelion was in the driveway grazing. I got out of the truck, caught her and put her over the fence. Came back, she was grazing along the driveway. I stopped and got out, but she crawled back through the cow panel. I didn’t want to run over her.

Latest posts