Buford T. Justice Baymule’s LGD

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven’t been doing much training lately. I’ve been working on the roof. On the downhill slope now, will finish up Saturday. I let dogs out in early morning, let lambs and ewes out, until I go to work on the roof. Sentry has had problems with the heat, so he goes in a dog crate in the house. It’s helping him. Sentry also stole lambs, keeping them from their mom. So he can’t run with expecting ewes anymore. I put Buford in the pen with the ram and his ewes during the day, let them out on the field around noon to 2 PM and put the lambs and ewes up in their pen. Sure will be glad to get more fence put up. One field kinda puts a cramp on things. Sheba goes out with lambs and ewes. The heat has been awful. I’ve given Buford some time in the ewes and lambs pen, he has been good. Once I get finished on the roof, I’ll try to give Buford more training time.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't say I blame you. It's not even that hot here but I've been training Harold every other day or so do to the heat. It'll cool down some day!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, just came off the roof at 12 noon, soaking wet, hot, hot, not interested in going back out. Hot. Buford is in Coopers pen, in shade, he’s hot too. I’ll go bring in the ewes in a little while, let Cooper, his girls and Buford on the field.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Truck ride today! I took Buford and Sheba for their rabies shot. At 10 months old, Buford weighs 100 pounds. He’s long, tall, lean and lanky. He’s going to be a big boy.

We practiced getting in the truck this morning, Sheba first, then Buford. Lots of petting and praise.

Vets office was fun. I was dragged in by two 100 pound Anatolians that looked like they’d rather be anywhere else, like robbing a convenience store or square dancing on a TV commercial for dog shampoo. Anywhere. Anything. Just not this! Getting them on the scale took me and a vet tech. Sheba first, then Buford. Sheba is 96 pounds, Buford is 100. Then we went in a room.

I sat in the floor, giving hugs, talking to them. They were panting, hot and scared.
100F and the AC in the truck stopped blowing cold. Windows down in front just sucked super heated air off the pavement. The cold floor in the room felt good to them. They got their shots, no big deal.

In the waiting room was a lady with 2 wiggling dogs that barked and wanted to come show those 2 big dogs how tough they were. She assured me that they were friendly. I remarked, “Mine aren’t.”
The staff hustled her out, into an exam room. I paid the bill and a tech helped me take them to the truck. Sheba jumped in, I dragged and pushed Buford in. Shut door!

A hot ride home, they are under the porch, vowing to NEVER go for a ride with me again.

Thursday I take Carson for his rabies shot. He loves to ride, even to the vet.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, well next year is going to be difficult. I used to groom Anatolian shepherds at work, and their motto is, "Fine...you can groom me...if you can groom me...."

They lay down like carcasses and good luck getting them into the bath/rolling them over to get their nails. :mad:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Truck ride today! I took Buford and Sheba for their rabies shot. ............ I paid the bill and a tech helped me take them to the truck. Sheba jumped in, I dragged and pushed Buford in. Shut door!
Ha ha!

Getting Mabel into the car is not too difficult because the destination might be to the National Forest land for a nice walk. Once at the vet's I have to drag her across the back seat toward the door while she clutches at blankets and seat upholstery, and then lift all 38 pounds of her resistant furry body out of the car. After we leave the vet clinic she just about drags me to the car and does a flying leap onto the back seat as soon as the car door is opened. My little chihuahua, Cocoa, is a bit easier to move from car to veterinary clinic, but neither dog is enthused about it. Both are a decade+ veterans of medical exams and are resigned to the procedure, but once it's done they both just want to GO HOME!!! For that matter, at that point, so do I!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
On a leash, Buford is an idiot. He runs circles around me, sees things that need his attention, everywhere in 23 different directions, all at once, and has the attention span of a gnat. SIT works for maybe a nanosecond. I put a choke chain on him if I don’t want to be dragged all over the place. He strangles himself. I grab his collar only if I want to be dragged, face down, by a galloping horse.

Sentry was a brilliant gentleman.
Sheba was a sweet compliant but lazy girl.
Both behave on a leash.

Buford! Oh Buford! I’m hoping when he matures, somewhere between 2 and 3 years old, that he calms down. :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, well next year is going to be difficult. I used to groom Anatolian shepherds at work, and their motto is, "Fine...you can groom me...if you can groom me...."

They lay down like carcasses and good luck getting them into the bath/rolling them over to get their nails. :mad:
I’m surprised Anatolian Shepherds let you do that at all!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m surprised Anatolian Shepherds let you do that at all!
Well "let" is a strong word. The ones we groomed were mannerly in that they didn't bite, but sitting on your paws when you're 100+ pounds is not especially helpful. >_> It takes 2-3 people to carry a dog pretending to be dead into a tub because dead weight is soooo much heavier than even a dog planting their feet.

We didn't get terribly many of them in though. The most common LGDs were Great Pyrenees in this area. It's a treat to get anything that's not a shihtzu, schnauzer or llhasa though.

Latest posts