Buford T. Justice Baymule’s LGD

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
GP’s were my first LGDs. Despite their tendency to roam, they are friendlier and somewhat easier to handle. If you have a lot of people coming in and out, GPS are the better option.
Anatolians are a more intense breed. They tend to be more distrustful. They have more of an attitude and you MUST be the leader or they will take over and be the boss-and that’s not good.

I started with Sentry, 1/2 Anatolian, 1/4 Akbash and 1/4 GP. Then I got Sheba, 3/4 Anatolian and 1/4 GP. Now I’ve added Buford, AKC registered Anatolian.

Go over to BYH and start reading up on LGDs. Lots of information, I have a thread for each of my dogs. Paris was the first, a free throwaway chicken killer. It took 2 years, but I turned her around, into the best chicken protector ever.

My 2 GPS taught me more than I ever taught them. I loved Anatolians from the start, but felt I needed a better education on LGDs.
We might get a GP 😂 I can be the leader but my husband is a softie 😂

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay! I just found this thread and didn't know you had another puppy! I thought he looked just like your other one and having read prior post I see that they all have part of Anatolian in them.

How many more dogs do you plan to have? Why did you get another one? Was it to balance the personalities of the other two?

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today Buford was with the ewes and lambs unsupervised. Well…… not by me, but Sentry and Sheba were with him. Buford kept trying to mingle with the flock, the ewes kept running him off. By the end of the day, he could walk through them and hang out with the lambs.

And Sheba! She tries to be grumpy, chewing on his head and growling, she’s so funny. She has a playmate! They run and play and have a great time.

Buford did great today. It was cold, windy, I got a cold, so I stayed in and took my medicine like a good girl. Bored to death,

Buford sits for his pan of food. He’s so cute.

E21D99FD-98FE-4F49-BE1D-B8712F9E10CB.jpeg

I went to feed the horse. I heard the puppy screaming for his life and Sentry mauling him. Sentry and Sheba have an agreement. Sentry eats his food, then lays down and waits for Sheba. She sometimes doesn’t eat it all and she walks away. Then Sentry finishes it. Obviously Buford tried to finish Sheba’s food and he learned a tough lesson. He was sitting in a corner, chastised. Sheba was standing next to him, like she was trying to comfort him. Poor little guy. He messes up and gets his head tore off.

No bite marks, just the fear and respect scared into him. He’s learning his place in the pack. It’s like a dog’s set of laws and customs. There is order in the pack

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay! I just found this thread and didn't know you had another puppy! I thought he looked just like your other one and having read prior post I see that they all have part of Anatolian in them.

How many more dogs do you plan to have? Why did you get another one? Was it to balance the personalities of the other two?

Mary
In about a year to 18 months, I’ll get another Anatolian, female. I did have 4 LGDs. Paris was 13 years old, got down in her back and could barely get around. I put her down. Trip was 7, had cancer and I had him put down. Both were Great Pyrenees.

That left Sentry and Sheba. I got Cooper, another ram. Trip was going to be Cooper’s guardian, but Trip was gone. The third morning after I brought Cooper home from Tennessee, there were coyotes howling right behind his pen. I moved him that day to the front yard. Carson, my big black Great Dane/Labrador cross had to step in as guardian. Not a LGD, but he has a deep, loud bark and that’s all I need him to do. Then I gave Cooper 8 ewes, so I have 9 sheep in the front yard. Yeah, I’m nuts.

Poor Carson just didn’t know what he was supposed to do!

0004C3F6-7360-4FE6-9A68-71691622640C.jpeg

So I’m down 2 LGDs. Sheep flocks are constantly in a state of change. I wean lambs, they need a guardian. I separate the ewe lambs from the ram lambs. Sometimes the ram is taken out of the flock, the girls, need a rest, ya know. I have to cover them all with LGDs.

Sentry and Sheba will help train Buford. I’ll get another puppy when Buford is trained. Two males generally don’t get along. They do now because Buford is a puppy. Later I’ll have to separate them.

That’s a long answer, but you asked! :lol: :lol: :lol:

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today Buford was with the ewes and lambs unsupervised. Well…… not by me, but Sentry and Sheba were with him. Buford kept trying to mingle with the flock, the ewes kept running him off. By the end of the day, he could walk through them and hang out with the lambs.

And Sheba! She tries to be grumpy, chewing on his head and growling, she’s so funny. She has a playmate! They run and play and have a great time.

Buford did great today. It was cold, windy, I got a cold, so I stayed in and took my medicine like a good girl. Bored to death,

Buford sits for his pan of food. He’s so cute.

E21D99FD-98FE-4F49-BE1D-B8712F9E10CB.jpeg
That face!! 🥰😍 💖 (sigh. I sure do miss the emoties)

Latest posts