I feel like they would see it, since there is no fencing around my yard. I shall try the forks. Perhaps if that doesn't work, I could spray some sort of predator scent around the garden that would deter them?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. I only had this problem in the veggie garden once.

There have been times in the front yard ornamental beds when it has continued year after year but my neighbors haven't been too irresponsible regarding how many cats they have. Secondly, most of my vegetables are grown in a neighborhood with considerable distance between homes. And, there are both coyotes and birds of prey.

Each spring that I have had dahlia roots in my basement, I have had a considerable amount of peat moss after the dahlias were planted out. I don't feel that it is safe to reuse the peat moss.

I've read that cats don't like walking on something that sticks to their feet. I was not around 24 hours each day to learn what the cats thought of peat used as mulch but it seemed to have worked.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might try covering the soil in your beds with bird netting. You can cut holes in it for planting. Or drape it and let the plants lift it. Cats can't use the soil for a toilet if they can't get to it.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with such an inconsiderate neighbor. I hope you can find a workable solution.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will the animal control for your county take "stray" cats? Or maybe a rescue animal shelter? Are their cats neutered? Are they spitting out kittens left and right? I had a dog that would find kitten nests and gulp them down. I called them kitty snacks.

I am not a cat hater, I hate irresponsible people who let their obsession become an out of control nuisance to their neighbors.

yep, and add me to the list and put "people who abandon pets in the country" on there too.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel like they would see it, since there is no fencing around my yard. I shall try the forks. Perhaps if that doesn't work, I could spray some sort of predator scent around the garden that would deter them?

not too likely.

try planting catnip at the other end to decoy them that way...

Great ideas! Thanks for the input everyone! I will have to experiment to see what works best. I did add netting to my strawberry bed and it seems to have worked. Perhaps I’ll just do that! I didn’t think to cut holes where the plants would be. Very clever.

Latest posts