CC's Fruits, Veggies & Food 2023

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bark grafted (first ever attempts) two weeks ago. The root stocks are from one of our peach's tree root suckers I let grow last year and dug up. The scionwood I harvested mid February.

No bud breaks yet on the scionwood tip grafts yet but the root stocks are starting to leaf out. These are my first ever bark graft attempts. I really don't know what to expect and how long before I'll know if the grafts took or not. There's is a good sign though, the grafts are not dried out and still flexible. Hoping for bud break soon, then I'll know for sure.

Anyone have a ball park timeframe of when I might expect to see bud break on the grafts?
IMG_20230308_230302037.jpg

Thanks

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have no idea about grafting @Crealcritter , but it's impressive you've given it a try. I've never attempted anything like that. Wow, you're own home grown peaches. What a dream, I don't think it's possible to grow those where I live. Peaches sure make for some delicious desserts.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have no idea about grafting @Crealcritter , but it's impressive you've given it a try. I've never attempted anything like that. Wow, you're own home grown peaches. What a dream, I don't think it's possible to grow those where I live. Peaches sure make for some delicious desserts.
Oh yes, fresh tree ripened fruit is delicious to eat and preserve 😋.

I'm still in the process of building the mother orchard and attempting to graft the production orchard.

I'm brand new to grafting fruit trees. i've studied a lot, now it's time to put all that studying into practice do my imperfect best, make.mistakes and learn from doing.

Building out a orchard is a multi year thing... First is to plant the mother orchard and graft in favorable mother orchard scionwood varieties onto production orchard root stocks. I do enjoy the learning and work involved though. I think because I enjoy it, it's not really bothersome or even work to me 😁

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yesterday evening in the mother orchard, I planted bare root whips, 2 cherry (Stella & Northstar) 1 plum (AU Rosa), 1 apricot (Katy). I have two left to plant today 1 plum (AU Producer) and 1 Peach (Loring). It's not that it takes long to plant a tree but we have lots of deer and rabbits. So I have to pound in t-posts, stand up and secure 13' of field fence and place a tree guard around the trunk. I also have a potted reliance peach that i brought inside, it bloomed and I hand pollinated it. I see some took. This means I'll have to keep this peach tree inside until last frost before I set it out in the mother orchard or I'll loose the peaches.
IMG_20230311_103744945~2.jpg

I also received an email that my rootstock and scionwood order from fedco trees has shipped that's 10 apples and 10 peach trees to bench graft. I'll most likely pot them and set them out in the production orchard once they go dormant this fall. That way I can babysit them over the summer.

Lots of fun around here, I enjoy the "work" so it's not really work to me.

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This bartlet pear trunk sucker needs to come off. But let's give it an air-layer attempt instead. If it takes I get a new bartlet pear tree. If it fails the trunk sucker needed to come off anyways.
IMG_20230311_144830170~2.jpg

Next remove the bark all the way around. Just run pocket knife around the branch to cut through the bark. You'll want about an inch gap.
IMG_20230311_145249630.jpg

Next scrape the cambian (green) layer off all the way around with the pocket knife.
IMG_20230311_145433629.jpg

Then give it a good coat of clonex rooting hormone gel. Make sure it get a good coating on the upper remaining bark, this is where the roots form (from the bark, not the raw wood). I coat the raw wood and the upper bark both.
IMG_20230311_145707984.jpg

Now pack a rooting ball with damp soil, I use regular ole cheap top soil from rural king. I found fancy expensive soils are not all that for trees. No need to spring for expensive or special soil/moss. Save the good compost for veggies 😁
IMG_20230311_145910706.jpg

Now clip the rooting ball over the whole mess. Ensure the wound is not sticking out of the bottom or the gel on the top is not exposed.
IMG_20230311_150035530.jpg

Finally wrap the rooting ball well with aluminum foil.
IMG_20230311_150301026.jpg

I'll know soon if this is a take of not. If it's a take the branch will leaf out and perhaps flower, If not, it will die. If it leafs out, in a few months it'll form enough roots to pot. It'll be a nice multi branch sapling to prune to shape if it does take 👍
IMG_20230311_150356000.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts