CC's Fruits, Veggies & Food 2023

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Finished up sowing 8 50' rows of sweet corn. Planted 1 foot apart so if all goes well we might get a few dozen ears.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
If you can, stagger your corn planting, like a week apart. The two good corn years I had, EVERYTHING came in at once, and I couldn't keep up. ๐Ÿ˜

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you can, stagger your corn planting, like a week apart. The two good corn years I had, EVERYTHING came in at once, and I couldn't keep up. ๐Ÿ˜

I kind of like to get corn all at once, get it processed and be done with it. Many people do like you do, and stagger a couple of weeks. ๐Ÿ‘

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's happening ๐Ÿฅณ
IMG_20230608_204347130~2.jpg

if I told you the troubles I had with green beans last year, you probably wouldn't believe me, so I won't tell you.

Last years garden, what has been hard became easy. What has been easy (like green beans) became hard.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's happening ๐Ÿฅณ
View attachment 57901

if I told you the troubles I had with green beans last year, you probably wouldn't believe me, so I won't tell you.

Last years garden, what has been hard became easy. What has been easy (like green beans) became hard.

Did you have troubles with root maggots? Bunnies?

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Amber waves of winter wheat grain that is my neighbors. Although he gives me a couple buckets full of berries, right off the combine. I grind it into into flour, it makes tasty pizza crust.
IMG_20230609_195704071.jpg

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Did you have troubles with root maggots? Bunnies?
No and no ๐Ÿ˜‚ I had to sow the bean rows twice, the first sowing didn't sprout, so I had to re-sow. And didn't get a single bean until very late in the season. Then I lost track of how many times we picked those two rows. Three of my neighbors plus a brother from church, plus my daughter in law and us had so many green beans put up, it was crazy. I kept those blue lake green beans plants alive all summer, through 7 excessive heat warnings. They would flower but not set green beans. This cycle repeated over and over again until the end of the season and then wham we were hit with green bean city. By that time, the rows were so wide you couldn't walk in between them. My neighbor said looks like a good place to hide if your a snake ๐Ÿ˜‚ Never had anything like this happen with green beans before.

Another day has come to a close, where do the days go? Our 4 mature hens, laid 5 eggs today, a great day ๐Ÿ‘
IMG_20230609_204859624~2.jpg

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
4 hens, 6 eggs in one day? Are they are trying to impress me? And they still had feed in their bowl. I seen water melon rinds in their yard. I wonder what else my wife has been feeding them ๐Ÿค”
IMG_20230611_215558653.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...Last years garden, what has been hard became easy. What has been easy (like green beans) became hard.

that is why planting a diversity of crops is important as you really can't predict what the weather and conditions might be. staggered plantings for some crops can also help.