Chainsaws

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I was still cutting wood for heat, I know what I would buy. But, I’m not. Good chain saw stolen, old cheap one, died. So I’m shopping for a new one. Any suggestions? Will use it for branches, small trees, occasional uses.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stihl would be my first choice, but Husqvarna makes good equipment also. We have two Stihl chainsaws, a Farmboss, (dh's) and the wee bitty one which is mine. 14" bar I think. They have been super dependable.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had a Husqvarna, liked it as did the thief. My buddies use Stihl. If I was cutting fire wood again, stihl it is. Hate to spend $300+ instead of $150 Poulan Pro for just cutting limbs and a few small trees. Looking for justifications. Wife says just buy the stihl as I can’t take $$$ with me.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your wife makes sense. The justification to me is that when you want something to work you want it to work. With a chain saw that can be an emergency after a storm. Not a good time to fiddle with it.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think you want a trim blade. Half the width, easier energy by half as a result. This blade size is the width of the pole saws and in my thoughts the battery powered saw. I use a 58v echo saw because I bought it for 75 bucks on ebay. The batteries I bought 5 for 125 but one went bad. Turns out you replace a cell and rebalance. The radio control hobbiests have developed a deep library on power cell diy maintenance. For real work I use a stihl 250 and a 660. I rarely use them.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I cut the stuff you describe and use a Poulan Pro the is supposedly a factory reman. They were on sale at a loal farm supply where I went to look for a Stihl.
After the Stihl sticker shock the young man showed me the Poulans.
I've had a couple of the old XXV's, one was used and the other I bought new. I quit using the newest one when the fuel cap could no longer be put on or off by hand. I guess the crap they sell for gas had made the plastic expand and not fit the threads any longer
A friend of mine has a tree service and has always said to let him know when I wanted to sell them, so one call and I got 2/3's of what I paid for the new Poulan.
The new saw works just fine but I do keep Sta-Bil in it at all times.

THANX RICH

Xerocles

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you're like me, this suggestion will hardly get a notice. Cause I'm old school and don't trust new fangled contraptions. But please take a look and give a consideration.
Electric, battery operated.
This winter I had a project that called for quite a bit of chainsaw work. Nothing big, but over 300 saplings. My Sthil (older than Methuselah) crapped out. Now in 67 years I've never owned a "brand new" chainsaw. And it's always been "cut 30 minutes, work on saw 45 minutes". Chainsaws have broadened my vocabulary...in ways that my Mom wouldn't have approved.
I called the only repair shop in my small town. They have a $60 cover charge if they do no more than say "you're out of gas".
It wasn't in my budget, but I was tired of fighting worn out saws. So I decided to bite the bullet and buy my first brand new saw. Until I saw the prices for new Sthils. Nope....not gonna happen.
While researching other brands I happened across an article on battery saws. Sounded promising. More research. Tons of improvements since the early days of electric saws.
I decided to give it a try. If it was junk, I'd demand my money back. Lowe's is pretty good about that. I got a 40volt Greenworks w/ 1 battery. (They have a 60v also, but reviews said it didn't work as good as the 40. Go figure.) It had a 4 yr warranty on the saw, with 2 yrs on the battery. Now I NEVER buy extended warranties, but I figured no way a battery would last over 2 years, and the extended warranty was less than the cost of a new battery. Keep it one year, 11 months, and get a new battery.
W I N N E R !!!
No exaggeration. Best tool investment I've made in YEARS! Fully charged battery, I sighed a sigh of relief when it finally died. I was pooped! It cuts fast. Faster than my gas machine. 16" bar. Biggest I have tried it on was a 14" tree. Didn't even hesitate. Right through it, and on the ground. Did all limbing and cut up for that tree on 1 charge.
Best part? No gas, no oil, no mixing, no mess. No special trips for non-ethanol gas. No gas storage problems. No "winterizing" if it's not going to be used for awhile. NO PRIMING, PULLING, OR FIDDLING! Set out down, it's off. Pick it up and you're instantly cutting again. NO PULLING. No learning new vocabulary. Hit the button and it's ON.
I used to procrastinate like crazy when I needed to use the chainsaw. Such a PITA. Now.....I use it...very nearly weekly. It's a joy.
Just looked it up at Lowes. $230 w/ 1 battery and charger.
I know, I know. I sound like I work for Lowes or Greenworks. Nope. Just an old retired guy trying to reclaim a small overgrown plot of earth. I'm sure most brands will work as good. And any store that sells them will be as good as Lowes.
Not sure I'd go back to gas if someone offered to GIVE me one.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you are just going to trim branches yup get a poulan w/16"bar <short bar chain saws are very dangerous, they will kickback on you in a heartbeat, almost lost my right arm because of them..>

get something that has a 18" bar it has more weight and control......trust me on this one....

Latest posts