Chicken eggs are so amazing

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
:drool butter in a pan - handfull of motzerella in the melted butter - beaten egg in the melted motz - season, cover till egg is set - slide the crispy cheese crusted deliciousness onto a plate and experience your eyes rolling back in your head with delight!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
:drool butter in a pan - handfull of motzerella in the melted butter - beaten egg in the melted motz - season...
Yes, season. Some chopped chives fresh from the garden, Debbie!

Oh, it's December and the temperature is in the teens, outdoors. ... Better still! A diced shallot in that butter ...

Steve
who hasn't churned fresh butter since he was a kid ...

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One problem, @Marie2020 , is if the hash browns aren't anywhere close to falling apart - like a gooey mess.

Lazy, I just read through 3 webpages of recipes. For such a simple dish, I was surprised that there were differences and strong opinions on preparation. I went with the guy who not only makes it most like I do but went the extra mile, or 3, and showed how doing things differently made for unacceptable hash browns ;). This guy isn't lazy!

I also liked his Grinch quote on what may happens if it's done wrong: ""an appalling dump heap, overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable, mangled up in tangled up knots". Ha Ha!

;)Steve
btw, if you want to confirm that this guy likes to do it right, click on his biscuit recipe :). i just make drop biscuits - this guy would run me out of the kitchen! nevertheless, his selected hash brown technique is really, quite simple.
As he described, mine were a "greasy mess" and just fell into lumpy slimy bits.

Thank you for these alternative ways for decent hash browns. Soaking the shreds I should imagine is key as well as amount of oil. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may have put them in a bowl, a time or two.

Otherwise, they go in a colander and rinsed very thoroughly. Then, they are squeezed "thoroughly."

Don't pile them in the pan too deep - that one variation at 1/2" would be an absolute maximum. Half that, would be better.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good article Steve, on the hash browns. I usually make more of a home style potatoes. I peel, slice thin and heat oil in a skillet. dump in the potatoes, cover with the lid and let the heat steam them done. I flip them over and crisp the other side. Sometimes i cook onions or jalapeno peppers in them too. When done, I top with grated cheese, lid goes back on until cheese is melted.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Marie, I have lots of recipes. The one I use for my husband and I has 30% whole wheat, and 5% rye. Most people like all bread flour. That's what my grandkids and a lot of people like. I'll give you both. Same method for both.

Sourdough Starter - I keep 15g in fridge. Night before I take out and feed with 15g flour (50/50 all purpose and whole wheat) and 15g water.

Next morning I feed with 45g flour and 45g water. When double in 4-6 hours I take 95-100g and put the rest back in fridge without feeding.

Thirty-five Percent Whole Grains Bread:

295g bread flour, 137g whole wheat, 23g rye flour, 340g warm water, 10g salt, and 97g starter. Mix all together and let sit for an hour.

Every 30 minutes do a set of stretch and folds for 2 hours.

Let sit 2 hours.

Pre shape, bench rest for 20 minutes, then final shape. Put into banneton and fridge overnight. The fridge develops flavor so if you want a more sour taste you can leave in their up to 3 days. I don't like sour taste so I only leave mine overnight or 12 hours or so.

Next morning or whenever you want bake at 475* covered for 20 minutes, then 15 minutes uncovered.

For All Bread Flour:

500g bread flour
350g water
9g salt

Good Luck,
Mary
I've just mixed the ingredients and forgot the salt, I hope it was ok to have mixed it as best I could after. Thanks Mary, if it goes wrong it's my own fault.

20201209_113401.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When we lived in London when I was young, late 50's, we used to eat soft boiled eggs in an egg cup. Mother would cut off the top and we'd use our spoons to dip down and eat the wonderful runny yolk with the slightly set whites. I still love soft boiled eggs and sunny side up.
That's the yummiest way to eat eggs.
We had the same as children but our folks used to cut our bread into long pieces and call them soldiers, so we would ask if we could have egg and soldiers for breakfast :)

Latest posts