Chicken eggs are so amazing

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
“Carefully managed starters can last indefinitely, but keeping up with one is a good bit of work. Kinda like having a pet that you raise and feed and take care of and then…bake and eat.”~ Alton Brown

Oh boy, is that a lot of info in that link!

Thinking sourdough would be simple, frontier stuff, I had trouble with the starter in the 70's. Room temperature was what I was going with and sure didn't know that I needed to feed it twice a day.

Mom and Dad had it in the fridge for several years. Shoot the Wrinkle (as Mom would say ;)), even youthful Steve remembers the days of using an icebox. And, guesses that those weren't on the frontier ...

;) youthful Steve
Well I'll be a lot more careful from now on with my latest pet/starter. ;)

20201217_020149.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Marie2020 did you use a commercial sourdough yeast? Until today, I didn't even know of such a thing.

Sourdough is thought of as "artisan," meaning it is unique from a bakery, not universally available. But, it may make a lot of sense to borrow from others' success.

On.the.other.hand, how might one best initiate the pet yeast ..? Actually, it's supposed to be both a lactic acid bacteria and a yeast cooperative. Makes me think of malted milk. Well. Maybe not for a starter!

That type of bacteria is busy living on stuff other than milk. What about fruit? And, fruits are busy places for yeasts. (The malt might be saved for use as a bread ingredient.) Whoa. I'm doing a lot of thinking out loud about something I know little about.

Steve
who had to have his dad holding his hand when brewing beer. "are you sure you should do that?"

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Marie2020 did you use a commercial sourdough yeast? Until today, I didn't even know of such a thing.

Sourdough is thought of as "artisan," meaning it is unique from a bakery, not universally available. But, it may make a lot of sense to borrow from others' success.

On.the.other.hand, how might one best initiate the pet yeast ..? Actually, it's supposed to be both a lactic acid bacteria and a yeast cooperative. Makes me think of malted milk. Well. Maybe not for a starter!

That type of bacteria is busy living on stuff other than milk. What about fruit? And, fruits are busy places for yeasts. (The malt might be saved for use as a bread ingredient.) Whoa. I'm doing a lot of thinking out loud about something I know little about.

Steve
who had to have his dad holding his hand when brewing beer. "are you sure you should do that?"
No I've made my own starter this one has had a little help with pineapple juice. Thanks to a nice guy giving me a few tips.

I watched a fascinating video last night on the subject of fruit yielding yeast. The guy was an Italian genius, he managed to get 2 starters from the juice of an apple and crushed grapes then finally mixed a part of the starters in with melon juice.
I do hope I can find more videos on him, that was so interesting.
He couldn't get anything going from the sultanas, he thought that was down to the chemicals used.

The video showed him making wine and bread, he succeeded with the bread but I need to find a catch up on how his wine turned out. I thought it clever him using balloons as a release mechanism. :)

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@digitS'
I've just taken a picture of my starter.
The bread tastes really good but it really hardens up, that's a small price to pay because it's a healthier bread than shop bought.
20201231_132747.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like it's "working!"

Egg whites,

brushed on the top before placing in oven, will soften the crust.

Steve

Latest posts