Chicken eggs are so amazing

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope it blended into dough, it rose nicely after so keeping my fingers and toes crossed. It is in the fridge now..
Oh I thought you had left it out entirely. I see that you mixed in. It should be fine.

Not to confuse you but I’ve started feeding my starter just once instead of twice. It changes my schedule from making the dough in the afternoon to the morning.

Now I feed my starter the. Igor before with 50g water and 50g flour. In the morning I mix everything together. Let it sit for an hour then do the stretch and folds etc.
Mary

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh I thought you had left it out entirely. I see that you mixed in. It should be fine.

Not to confuse you but I’ve started feeding my starter just once instead of twice. It changes my schedule from making the dough in the afternoon to the morning.

Now I feed my starter the. Igor before with 50g water and 50g flour. In the morning I mix everything together. Let it sit for an hour then do the stretch and folds etc.
Mary
I've just got this little beauty out of the oven and didn't take the lid off, so the crust will be easier on my gums :D

Its smells lovely and has risen beautifully. This is the most success I've had with baking bread. But I have enjoyed almost all of the bread I've baked much better than shop bought apart from 2 loaves which were gum crushing yuk

Thanks Mary
20201210_145525.jpg
20201210_145515.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Marie, here is my Basic bread recipe. My MIL used this, and I inherited her cookbook. She had This recipe hand written in it. I have made it successfully for YEARS.
Basic White Bread
2 packages (1/2 ounce) or equivalent active dry yeast (use more than you think you need)
2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), or milk
3 tablespoons sugar plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar OR honey
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening OR butter
5 1/2-6 cups flour
DIrections:
1) Soften butter (if you use that), add the sugar. You can microwave it for about 30 seconds, or let it soften for an hour
I like using the microwave to heat up the water/milk, test it, so it isn't too hot, then add the yeast.
2) add flour, 1 cup at a time
If it is humid you will need 5 cups. If it is drier you will need 6 cups
3) Hand mix and kneed your bread. You can flour a board, or your kitchen counter and take out all of your aggression on the bread! The more you kneed it, the denser the bread will become.
4) butter a bowl, and let rise in a warm place until it is doubled. You will just have to watch it bc the yeast needs warmth to grow. Again, I like to put mine in my microwave, but I have cats, so this way they stay out of it.
Coat the bread in the butter before letting it rise to doubled
5) Take your risen bread and kneed it some more, then cut pieces with a knife. Work the dough to approximately fit the bread pan.
I have a rectangular glass bread pan, and 3 smaller loaf ceramic bread pans (that are Christmas-y and I bought them on clearance one January)
Butter OR spray with cooking spray to keep the bread from sticking.
6) Kneed to fit. They should fill 1/2 of each bread pan.
If you wish, paint on egg whites before the bread rises the 2nd time
7) Let rise in a COLD oven.
8) When doubled, turn on the oven WITH THE RISEN BREAD DOUGH to 350 degrees F (or equivalent)
9) The smaller bread pans takes about 25 minutes to bake, but check it bc it may take a little bit longer in YOUR oven.
10) When you remove the smaller pans (if you do it this way), turn OFF the oven and let the larger pan rise 10 more minutes
If you use only a large bread pan it takes about 35 minutes to bake.
REMOVE THE BREAD IMMEDIATELY! Put the loaf(ves) upside down or sideways on a cookie sheet to allow for the bottoms to dry out. Otherwise your bread will have soggy bottoms.
This video should help you.

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've just got this little beauty out of the oven and didn't take the lid off, so the crust will be easier on my gums :D

Its smells lovely and has risen beautifully. This is the most success I've had with baking bread. But I have enjoyed almost all of the bread I've baked much better than shop bought apart from 2 loaves which were gum crushing yuk

Thanks Mary
View attachment 37944View attachment 37945
I'm bumping this up, i hope to bake another loaf tomorrow.
@ninnymary I've got it into my head about getting the starter going for the bread, but on feeding the fridge sourdough, do I leave it out until it bubbles before returning it to the fridge? Or mix in more flour and water then put it back into the fridge immediately?
:bow I'm praying it stays alive because I've murdered two sourdough's before, this is my third.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm bumping this up, i hope to bake another loaf tomorrow.
@ninnymary I've got it into my head about getting the starter going for the bread, but on feeding the fridge sourdough, do I leave it out until it bubbles before returning it to the fridge? Or mix in more flour and water then put it back into the fridge immediately?
:bow I'm praying it stays alive because I've murdered two sourdough's before, this is my third.

here is an article i just found which describes the general ideas of keeping a sourdough culture alive, and also how to revive one that may have gone too long. :)

i'm not an expert on this myself, the only cultures i do here are between my toes on my left foot and yogurt (which is not from between my toes).

in terms of practical experience i'd defer to @ninnymary as she seems to be someone who takes this seriously and makes a really nice looking bread too in the process. :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
here is an article i just found which describes the general ideas of keeping a sourdough culture alive, and also how to revive one that may have gone too long. :)

i'm not an expert on this myself, the only cultures i do here are between my toes on my left foot and yogurt (which is not from between my toes).

in terms of practical experience i'd defer to @ninnymary as she seems to be someone who takes this seriously and makes a really nice looking bread too in the process. :)
Thanks @flowerbug At last I have an answer :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
“Carefully managed starters can last indefinitely, but keeping up with one is a good bit of work. Kinda like having a pet that you raise and feed and take care of and then…bake and eat.”~ Alton Brown

Oh boy, is that a lot of info in that link!

Thinking sourdough would be simple, frontier stuff, I had trouble with the starter in the 70's. Room temperature was what I was going with and sure didn't know that I needed to feed it twice a day.

Mom and Dad had it in the fridge for several years. Shoot the Wrinkle (as Mom would say ;)), even youthful Steve remembers the days of using an icebox. And, guesses that those weren't on the frontier ...

;) youthful Steve

Latest posts