Chicken eggs are so amazing

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My chicken coops always have a dirt floor and I practice deep litter. Leaves! Fall leaves are great! I also use hay, pinestraw, in a pinch I'll use pine shavings. Always have ventilation. I put a solid wall at the back of the coop and solid sides halfway in the coop, but wire front and wire (hardware cloth) on the sides, 2' up, then solid wall.

I'm trying to make a sourdough again, this time I used pineapple to get it going. It's a bit of a process but I've been told it worth it :)
Recipe? Pictures?

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm trying to make a sourdough again, this time I used pineapple to get it going. It's a bit of a process but I've been told it worth it :)
What's your best sourdough recipe? I've made french bread, wheat bread, fruit breads, and white bread, but have always wanted to make sourdough and I never did.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What's your best sourdough recipe? I've made french bread, wheat bread, fruit breads, and white bread, but have always wanted to make sourdough and I never did.
Just a learner here and lost a few sourdough starters. This last attempt is looking good so far but not counting on it being good for tomorrow. I've made rye loaf malt and wholemeal. I cant wait to use a ancient grain mix of flour 👃 that's if the starter is going well. Its It's been all trail and error's with my baking.

Any recipes or hints would be greatly appreciated :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My chicken coops always have a dirt floor and I practice deep litter. Leaves! Fall leaves are great! I also use hay, pinestraw, in a pinch I'll use pine shavings. Always have ventilation. I put a solid wall at the back of the coop and solid sides halfway in the coop, but wire front and wire (hardware cloth) on the sides, 2' up, then solid wall.

Recipe? Pictures?

I'm fermenting the sourdough so that's the only picture I can give right now.

20201201_234600.jpg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My current flock, purchased from a private owner/breeder almost 2 weeks ago, are laying white, pale blue, medium brown and dark brown. The lady that sold them to me has a light in her chicken building to trick the birds into laying during the winter. She also doesn't keep the cleanest coop. Unfortunately, that is normal for many chicken owners. It is also normal for chicken owners to own too many birds, IMHO. Then, they decide it's too much and have a massive sale/butchering, maybe both and give it up.
When Spring comes I will be giving away dozens of eggs/month to my friends, who, in turn, give ME bags of feed. Better than running an egg business and being inspected.
I don't use a light, just a heated dog water bowl. I also have Plenty of ventilation in my always cleaned up coop, although with the high winds yesterday/this week, I closed the two windows and only left the door with the ramp, north side, open.
I will let my birds pack away the calories this winter, put on some more fat and feathers, and accept 1-3 eggs/daily until about March, when I will get more eggs. Chickens have only so many eggs available to lay. I can keep a flock going longer, then butcher 2-3yo's and replace them.
Several of my new birds are only 7 months old, and will grow up bigger.
FORTUNATELY it only took 2 days of throwing them into their coop/shutting them up all night in their coop, for this flock to understand that you go to the coop when it's dusk and stay there until the morning. I THOUGHT it was going to take a whole week to do this.
The coop has plywood pieces to block the wind from the south, west and north. It is on legs and the wind underneath can make it colder.
You have a lovely mix if eggs from your new girls and they will be a lot happier with you. Good on you Ducks :thumbsup :)

How does the heated dog bowl work? Batteries or electric? I've not seen a heated bowl before and would love one for my girls

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
1606877687161.png

Many different companies, mine looks slightly different. Chickens Won't peck on the electric cord, neither will a dog or cat. A horse? Bad combination, esPECIALLY my QH Buster Brown, who chews on Everything.
Unless it gets down to colder than -5 degrees F, the water never freezes. You attach it to an outdoor extension cord, cover the connections with one of these, and you are good to go all winter.
1606877820617.png

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No this was Walnut Creek, CA. Very mild winters and warm summers.
I lived on both sides of Walnut Creek as a little kid and had aunts and uncles who were longtime area residents. @ninnymary lives nearby, these days. Dahlia, you now live in Washington State, is that right?

I don't have a sourdough recipe to share. We made a very simple white bread - it was what we thought of as "San Francisco sourdough bread." I have never known anything about pineapple in sourdough ... although I do make a very tasty Pineapple Cornbread ...

:) Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW has the "potato bug," this morning. She peeled a bunch of spuds and is frying hash browns. It's a little late for my second breakfast but I'm being patient. She doesn't like easy-over eggs. I know that she plans to scramble them. No Sunnyside Up eggs with hash browns in this house! Oh well, I'm trying to be patient ...

Extra spuds, she just boiled and mashed for a couple loaves of bread. I'm not especially taken with potato bread but I've always liked it. Potato bread is just not all that much different from other yeast breads.

Still and yet, I like its smooth consistency - no big gaps in the loaf, making it difficult for the slices to hold the jam ;).

Before that Japanese Milk Bread, I'd never cooked a paste of flour and water as a bread ingredient. I think that is a benefit to the smoothness of the bread just as the mashed potatoes will be. Seemed like a real simple thing to do.

Steve
oh, and there are eggs in the potato bread, too.
Steve, I'm like your wife. I don't eat over easy eggs yet everyone in my family loves them! To me they are raw, haha.

Mary