Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, I just don't know. I very seldom have two hens broody at the same time, I generally break one if another is already setting eggs. I don't separate mine into broody pens, just leave them in the nest in the coop. On the chicken forum you see photos of multiple broody hens working together to hatch the chicks and to raise them, apparently without a problem. Or different hens in different nests in the coop with different hatch days. But occasionally you read about problems. I do think those problems are pretty rare.

Do you have them setting in the same nest in those pens or does each hen have her own nest? A few years back I had a broody sitting on eggs. Just before she was due to hatch another hen went broody. I was slow throwing her in the broody buster. When those eggs started to internal pip, the chicks inside started chirping before hatch. The two broodies fought over the eggs and broke about half of them. That second broody had only been broody a couple of days.

As a kid I can remember two broodies that hatched a few days apart fighting over the chicks. One wanted to take care of all of them by herself. I can also remember several times when two different broodies just took care of her own chicks and didn't bother the others. I can't remember any ever co-parenting but they didn't get much chances for that. if a second hen went broody in the same nest she would go in the broody buster. Dad would rather have them laying eggs than uselessly broody. With a dozen eggs one broody that size was enough.

Bee obviously has a lot more experience with multiple broodies than I do, I'd go more by what she says than me. When you deal with living animals and their behaviors you just can't tell for sure what will happen. If it were me hatching four broody hens simultaneously, each broody would have her own pen for hatch. After they had all finished I'd probably let them mingle and see what happens. If it comes to it, this time of the year a broody hen can raise a lot of chicks, it's not like the chicks are going to get that cold.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had three sets of coparenting broodies over the years due to setting eggs at the same time with broodies in the same pen. The last two pairs didn't stay paired up for long, with one broody going back to the flock and letting the other take over the duties. This year's pair is not looking too likely to do that, with both mothers extremely protective with the brood.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I once had two game hens that always hung out together, got broody together, set on the same nest together and co-parented. The chicks would just run back and forth between them.

On the other hand I had one old biddy (Queen of the Coop) that would steal the other hens chicks and if the chick wouldn't go with her she would peck them in the head and kill them. I gave her, the 25 chicks and the head rooster to my neighbor that couldn't raise chickens because they kept getting killed. They called her the B^tch from Hell but she and her brood made up a good flock. Tell your friend to get game chickens if he wants chickens that can survive the wilds.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
They went broody together and paired off in my coop together. I had to move them because they were taking up all the nest boxes. All the eggs will hatch together. I had 3 wire pens...5 broodies...and 3 dozen eggs to hatch, so I put them all to work! I'm not sure what I'll do with them after they hatch or how soon I will take the chicks away from them. Thought this might be easier than firing up the incubator. Now I'm not so sure, lol.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
as a child the broody's where with the rest of the coop never separated have not go broody
to the extent they need to have one of my hens taking over for no cockerel just now

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chickens can still go broody when there isn't a rooster but you can slip a few chicks under them some night if you want more chickens. That way you can order what you want too. Not as many surprises.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You all are better than I ever was. If I had 2 sitting on separate nests, it wouldn't be long when they both wanted same nest so eggs got cold.

Latest posts