Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a broody! :weee So happy.

I can remember being really excited when I'd get a broody. Those hatchery dual purpose birds don't always go broody that much. But I purposely hatched eggs from hens that went broody to try to breed that into my flock.

It worked. I have eight adult hens. One is raising a bunch of chicks. I took one out of the broody buster yesterday, and put three more in. I've already got all the chicks I need to hatch this year. So out of eight hens I only have three that are laying right now. This same thing happened a couple of years ago. That time I was trying to collect eggs for a broody but so many were broody it took a while. Be careful what you wish for.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
see only my Barreds where hatchery birds they are going on three... never collected eggs from them to hatch
used my green and blue eggs

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Now I have another hen that has decided to be broody with her sister. My little New Hampshire's are half grown now and so sweet. They are definitely pullets. :weeeI am so happy to be getting some more layers (eventually). With any luck I will have some chicks before long. I tried candling the eggs but my flashlight gave out on me. One egg for sure had some movement. :thumbsup

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
On a totally different tack. . . I bought a chicken plucker this weekend. Thought I saw $54. on one in a box. Went online to find they were closer to $540. Checked back at the store. They were on sale for $359. Brought one.

Yes, I will have to pluck a lot of chickens to warrant that cost, but I'm considering my time and temper as well as the cost. Now I need not fear those rascally hens hiding their broody nests and bringing home babies.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I sold the one I bought lost 30 on the deal BF does not want to butcher except like now
have a bird eating eggs 2 yesterday it need to be soup

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would love to find a good deal on a chicken plucker. If me or DH was mechanically inclined we could build one but sadly we are not.:(

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
They sell hand held ones. It's a drill bit with 4 or 5 of the 'fingers' attached. the drill spins the fingers, the feathers come off.
Not expensive at all.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was going to make one. After buying all the parts for the handheld drill version, I couldn't loosen up the bit with my drill chuck to put the long threaded thingy in. I was not happy.

Latest posts