Chickens for bug control and food recycling.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got many a freezer full and many bbqs from newspaper adds for "free roosters" ( varied from 1 to a couple dozen per location ) or " free chickens" ( varied from a few hens and maybe a rooster to one time 19 point of lay hens ) ... my only cost was for gas money to pick them up and butchering then cost of electricity for the freezer.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got many a freezer full and many bbqs from newspaper adds for "free roosters" ( varied from 1 to a couple dozen per location ) or " free chickens" ( varied from a few hens and maybe a rooster to one time 19 point of lay hens ) ... my only cost was for gas money to pick them up and butchering then cost of electricity for the freezer.

Same here and I hope to do the same thing this fall. It's a great way to get free meat that one didn't have to raise to adult size. I keep them here for awhile and feed them on fermented feed to take the strong taste out of the meat from barnyard living and commercial feeds and it seems to help deliver a better product.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's HUGE prices!!! We'd get merely a fraction of that in these parts so it's more profitable to eat them then sell them.

getting them free is easier no doubt but I do admit the first time I went to this auction had 6 month old cockerel f-2 olive he netted 38 then Blue my f-l olive was 56

Accidental goat mom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I gave up a small space in my flower garden for my chickens. Not sure why they love that spot but they dust bathe in it daily...whatever I plant there they dig out...but if I leave that spot they leave the rest of the bed alone other than to eat bugs...and maybe scratch a bit...but not enough to uproot things. Lol

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Finally did get Richards birthday present really rips my cord bought the damn thing on the 5th his birthday the 4th just was able to pick it up today thanks Walmart bunch of ripoff no go jerks.. but had to say lets stop at tsc ooops picked up 10 cuckoo marans with Dominique mixed in so not sure at this point how many I have of one or the other and of course straight run so could all be cockerel in which case will not keep any

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The flock are really enjoying the unseasonably warm weather going on, foraging like mad all day long and the egg yolks are oranging up fine. All hens laying these past few days except the oldster 6 yr old EE hen...she only lays a couple times a week now.

Need to work on garden gates and insure no jump ups/jump downs can happen this season.

Was clearing the maternity ward out today, moved all the bags of leaves stored there to the, now less full, wood shed.

Getting ready for chick season....that's always exciting! Did find a 5 ft long black snake skin shed on the wall of the maternity ward, presumably from last year. Hope he doesn't come back.

Some of the flock out hunting around the garden....

100_0491.JPG
100_0493.JPG

100_0492.JPG

Latest posts