Coffee Substitutes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just had my 4-hours-after-rising coffee ... and several figs.

I'm remembering when Mom had those coffee substitutes from the health food store. One was made from figs! The flavor of the dry ones I just had just kinda disappeared in the coffee flavors :).

Postum was common in our house and Mom let me drink that. I'd get a cuppa tea once in awhile but only when I was sick ... Whole grains in the Postum. I'm not gonna say anything about the molasses.

Roasting dandelion roots worked out well for me. I've even roasted chicory roots. Neither would I drink without 50% coffee added but that's okay. It has to really cut down on caffeine.

Have you tried any of these things? Others? Feel the need?

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few years ago, "cutting edge" medical advice was that caffeine was poison. Now it's that caffeine is good for you, in moderation. I think I do better with a moderate amount of caffeine....3 to 4 cups over the course of the day.
Lots of people who cut out coffee think it's the caffeine that bothers their stomach, when it's the acid in the coffee. Years ago I was introduced to Kava instant coffee. Yes it was instant, and tasted a little different, but it has full caffeine, just 99% acid free. Stomach problems solved. I drank that coffee for probably 20 years. Then I switched to an organic freeze dried instant, which was really good, then I gradually switched to regular coffee, but I grind my own beans. You can't beat Dunkin in the morning.
I have had Postum occasionally, too. I kind of liked it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is also the bitterness.

Funny that there seems to be a way of measuring beer & wine for bitterness. A search doesn't indicate that there is a standard like a pH scale for acidity.

Now, I have less problems with my stomach than anytime in the last half dozen or more years. I better not be tempted back to a habitual early cup. Of course, if I'm up at 3am, my relaxing cup of coffee comes at 7 :).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to, @so lucky .

I don't drink a cup of coffee at dawn and end up doubled up in pain before lunch. That wasn't how it was. The problem was a sore stomach, day after day, after month, after year. Meds helped, some with quick relief. I still take Prilosec but half what is prescribed. Carafate, maybe one day a month.

Going to 2/3rds decaf seemed to help. I didn't like 100% decaf and would rather quit totally, which is what the stomach doc advised. Now, I drink caffeinated but I don't drink it after a night of no food. I have learned that I can not have it for the day and not really miss it. Coffee is a treat and, yes, it stimulates.

Moderation and no addiction and treats and goodies!

:) Steve

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used to drink postum as a child, nasty stuff.

That is interesting about Kava, may need to try that.

Not really a coffee substitute, and I don't think it has any caffeine, but I used to really like ovaltine. (sp)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember Ovaltine! We used to drink it hot on winter mornings. I bought some about a year or so ago. It is good with cold fresh milk. But I don't need any more reasons to drink cold fresh milk, haha.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A malted milk beverage ...

Mom thought she could fatten me up on those sorts of things.

I finished high school at 155# and over 6'. She sent a can of something like Ensure with me every day during the final year. I had to carry a can opener. Lol ! It was a malt :).

Steve

Latest posts