. the border,

Sanity/Lunacy!

Steve
Edit: speaking only for myself, of course :p

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Coffee when it is made, the water must be hot enough. Some poorly made machines rinse the ground beans with water at a low temperature[ water too cool] that removes the Caffeine and acids only, this will bother you intestine and give you the shakes.

There are buffers in the coffee bean. Coffee made properly, the way most of you make it, is a friendly, helpful, necessary part of civilized life.

While most of us have chosen not to drink coffee for a time, when we get back to a good, well made cupa, Well, there is nothing quite like it.

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the 18 century coffee and tea was so expensive it was kept in a locked box. You didn't want the maid to sneak a cup. Many of those boxes go for a pretty penny today in Antique shops

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It also can depend on the tea. I'm nearly caffeine immune so can blithely do things like drink a water pitcher of Tie Guyanyin tea (which in terms of caffeine content is roughly to tea what espresso is to coffee) brewed at 10x standard strength and sleep like a baby afterward. But for some reason the black tea Ajiri (an African company) sell knocks me for a loop, a few cups of that and I will get so jittery I'll start getting muscle tics.

I have heard that Senna obtusifolia/tora seed can be made into a coffee substitute too, hence the name coffee senna (as well as one too racist to say here) But while my work means I have regular access to masses of senna seed, the fact that I just plain don't like the taste of coffee means I've never had the urge to try it. Then again given that senna seed is also used as a laxative tea* it's probably just as well.

* Technically as it is not and does not contain Camellia sinensis , the decoction should properly be referred to as a tisane, not a tea. However, the term "herbal tea" is now simply too common to fight against.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob was afraid to post that tea study. . . he drinks tea occasionally himself.
Nope ! If I drink coffee or tea after 12:00 noon, I can't get to sleep that night. So... I do drink cow squeezings ( Mary : when one squeezs the nipples on the udder of a cow with one's hands and causes a white liquid to be expelled - commonly known as milk) , pasturized of course . Also , I may add a 1/4 cup of coffey to 3/4 cup of the cow squeezings. ... and when there is frost on the pumpkin, I do indulge in hot buttered rum... and / or a cup of hot Swiss Miss chocolate, seated in front of a roaring fire in the fire place. :caf

Last edited:

Latest posts