Coffee

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Artichoke Lover stay safe and don't drive into flooded roads. Even a couple inches of water can sweep a car off the road.

Coffee is ready. I woke up at 7, got a good night's sleep. Chris will be putting up soffit today, I will be of no help, might as well start cleaning out the back room, getting ready for demolition.
We have gotten there safe. We some some flooding. One of the shopping centers had several feet of water but we didn’t see any on the road. Now we just have to get home before the next line of storms hits about lunch.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Got back to the family members house safe. Another 1/2 of rain and the bridge will be under water though. Since the rain was chasing us home and more is on the way I’m just going to stay at their house for the night and try to make it home tomorrow afternoon. Everyone at home is disappointed since I was supposed to cook fajitas for dinner. Now they have to fend for themselves. They can’t even order a pizza since the road is flooded!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got back to the family members house safe. Another 1/2 of rain and the bridge will be under water though. Since the rain was chasing us home and more is on the way I’m just going to stay at their house for the night and try to make it home tomorrow afternoon. Everyone at home is disappointed since I was supposed to cook fajitas for dinner. Now they have to fend for themselves. They can’t even order a pizza since the road is flooded!

But at least you are safe. Peanut butter sandwiches aren’t too bad…… HaHaHa!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A deviled egg sandwich was dinner, last night :D. Our larger meal here at home is usually lunch.

Today, lunch is likely to be a peanut butter and jam sandwich 👍 because it's a day to get some things done in the distant garden. Foremost will be killing some weeds on ground that hasn't come under cultivation. By now, the soil that has been tilled may is likely to have some tiny weed seeds sprouting but since more rain is in the forecast, I will have to be selective about where that means a weed may just recover from a little root-disturbance.

That means, spading fork work in the bigger weeds on previously untilled ground with an additional wack and toss to expose roots. Next week is likely to be a better time for tilling.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm tired. I'll probably work on clearing out the back room we are going to tear down, maybe haul off some sheetrock. I get the use of my nephew's dumpster, I usually go on the day before it gets dumped so I don't overfill it. Sometimes I only have a half bag of trash, but yesterday I had a lot. Today I'll put sheetrock in the bottom, after it's dumped, it's flat and won't take up much room.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went to the Sheriff's breakfast this morning in Groveton. It's by donations only and the money goes to scholarships to trade schools for graduating seniors in Trinity County. At graduation a few weeks ago, 9 scholarships of $1,100 each were given out. I think that is pretty awesome that a sheriff cares that much about his county and the people in it. The food is donated and cooked by an electric construction company. I met some people and had a good time.

Then back home, to hitch up the stock trailer. It took me a few tries, but I finally got it hooked up.

I went to Alto, 50 miles away, to the Tractor Supply, for 10 rolls of sheep and goat wire. You have to buy 10 rolls to get the 5% discount. They only had 8 rolls, they tried to get the other 2 rolls from several different stores and they were out. So the manager said I could have the 5% discount anyway because they didn't have 10 rolls. So I asked if perhaps another store, like maybe Lufkin would have the wire, and if I bought the other 2 rolls there, would they give me the 5% discount? So the manager of the Alto store called the manager of the Lufkin store and he said yes, just show him the receipt from the Alto store. :yesss:

Now get this, the wire in Alto was priced at $349.99 per roll. It has gone up $100 since February of this year. It took a $90 hike, then a couple months ago, it went up another $10. I got to Lufkin and the wire was priced at $379.99 :ep That's another $30 jump in the price! :somad The manager gave me the 5% discount, then the cashier rang it up. I commented on the price difference and asked the manager if he would honor the Alto store price and he did! :celebrate:celebrate

I'm guessing that the Alto store had "old" stock (like maybe a couple of months old) and the Lufkin store had new stock-latest shipment.

When I got back from Alto, I dropped the trailer, had to back it between 2 other trailers, THAT took more than a few tries! Then to Lufkin for the Ladies 50's Club Lunch. A bunch of old ladies born in the 50's get together once a month and have lunch. I was a regular social butterfly today! Inbetween driving miles and miles for freakin' sheep and goat wire!! After the lunch, I went to TSC and got the 2 rolls, then to Lowes for a new storm door on DS's house, then to fill up truck. That store was having problems with credit cards and debit cards. It refused my cards. So I went to the bank and got cash. I went back, waving money, dancing a little jig and singing "I've got MONEY, can I buy diesel now??" That young girl burst out laughing, she was having a hard day. People were mad and being rude. No point in that, it wasn't her fault.

AND.......... BEST NEWS OF THE DAY........SURVEYORS WERE ON THE FARM TODAY!!!!
:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went back, waving money, dancing a little jig and singing "I've got MONEY, can I buy diesel now??" That young girl burst out laughing, she was having a hard day. People were mad and being rude. No point in that, it wasn't her fault.

i never understand being mean or rude to people behind a counter just doing their jobs.
:(

i hope she had a better day afterwards thinking of you. :)

AND.......... BEST NEWS OF THE DAY........SURVEYORS WERE ON THE FARM TODAY!!!!
:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee

awesome! :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A person behind a counter represents the company.

Usually and maybe unfortunately, this person may have absolutely NO INFLUENCE on company products/services and policies. The counter person has to be secure enough in their own person to allow the rude remarks to roll off like raindrops on a new parka. I say this but I was never the counter person.

Yesterday, I saw the most rude ... vulgar ... obscene printed statement on the back of a hoodie worn by a person showing up in an office. I won't type the word but it began with an "F." The other words, "... this place." Amazing!

This wasn't a probation office or licensing office, not government or the school principal's - No One was requiring the person to show up. Maybe, the person was simply stating their frustrations with their world. I suppose that is likely and anyone who wears such clothing showed be pitied because theirs is a rather desperate cry for help. Still ... El Disgusto!

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree Steve. People should not wear such words on their clothing. Vulgar language has crept into the vocabulary and is part of normal conversation. My opinion is that it shows ignorance, in that if a person cannot come up with more intelligent descriptive words, then they must be really mentally lazy and stupid.

Latest posts