Coffee

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have about gave up coffee ever since going to the hospital. I think in the last 3 weeks I have drank a half a cup. I pour it and take sips now and then and leave it. I think mentally that way I am not telling myself I cannot have coffee. I am not sure why though. I know I want to cut out sugar but it just does not seem to interest me. I am pretty mad about food and being overweight, so I am eating light and lots of vegetables. I have lost 19 pounds. I can't do much. I just walk from the chair to the bathroom to the kitchen for water and back to my chair and then back in office and check out news on the computer. My heart rate goes up if I stand or want too much. I guess I am getting better. Only time will fix this.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday was non stop screw ups.

Companies just don't seem too have the capability with passing on the correct information between the telephone staff to the parts section and now I'm praying the repairs team get all the relevant information to actually repair my cooker.
I've paid just under £120 so far for this cover. The parts won't be that much.
Online doesn't seem to be doing any better. Yesterday, I was looking into buying some biltong (South African style jerky) off a site. I noticed they said they were sold out of droewors (sort of beef sticks) but appeared to still be offering them in the cornucopia mixture, so I double checked. Good thing I did, as it turns out that not only were they completely out, but, had I ordered the mix rather than get a refund (or a credit toward the sticks when they did come in) I would have gotten an extra 2oz pack of the Biltong (so it would have been equivalent of just getting $4 off of getting 12 oz of sliced and a slab.)

Or when I tracked down some coveted soda, only to have my whole payment refused because it wasn't until someone went to the warehouse that they noticed that all of it was well past it's sell by date (no surprise for a product they haven't made for ten years.)

Or the crowning achievement, waiting for a book they said they handed off to the carrier, only to find out said book's publication has been pushed forward to next year, and the sellers did not think it was worth it to tell me!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have about gave up coffee ever since going to the hospital. I think in the last 3 weeks I have drank a half a cup. I pour it and take sips now and then and leave it. I think mentally that way I am not telling myself I cannot have coffee. I am not sure why though. I know I want to cut out sugar but it just does not seem to interest me. I am pretty mad about food and being overweight, so I am eating light and lots of vegetables. I have lost 19 pounds. I can't do much. I just walk from the chair to the bathroom to the kitchen for water and back to my chair and then back in office and check out news on the computer. My heart rate goes up if I stand or want too much. I guess I am getting better. Only time will fix this.
Assuming you didn’t get that way in a week so you won’t get back to where you want to be in a week. Keep up the good fight. You are winnng!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm proud of you! 19 pounds is an achievement! Keep it up, your health will improve. Go real easy on carbs, as our efficient body turns carbs to sugars. Lots of vegetables, a little meat and eggs. We are behind you on this!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits if i'd gone from drinking a lot of coffee to very little that quickly i'd have had massive withdrawal headaches. even just a little bit of caffiene regularly will set me up for headaches if i quit.

kudoes on getting some weight off and eating better - i hope you can continue. the point i would worry about would be if you are not getting enough nutrition to function or to move enough. exercise is an important part so i hope you will be able to do more and even if it means going out for a walk that is better than nothing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning. Beautiful Three-Quarter Moon last night … followed by lovely Orion this morning … with Sirius leaping up on his leg :).

Full Moon in Four Days. Moonlight really brightens the evening. Hunter’s Moon - just learned that it is also called Travel Moon. Makes sense :). Your travel can extend into the evening if you are a little behind from being distracted earlier in the day by the Fall colors ;).

Trees are changing colors here even without having had a freeze. Shows us that they are on their own schedule somewhat regardless of the weather.

Steve on his way out to the distant garden to harvest (what, more needed?) and run irrigation

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I'm proud of you! 19 pounds is an achievement! Keep it up, your health will improve. Go real easy on carbs, as our efficient body turns carbs to sugars. Lots of vegetables, a little meat and eggs. We are behind you on this!
@Gardening with Rabbits , Cut out the coffee if it raises your heart rate. The coffee won't miss you. Coffee is pretty much like some cats.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sprinkling on-going. Cooler stuffed. All but 3 tomatoes ignored - they will be fine for a few more days.

One head off the late planted Eastern Magic broccoli but lots of little side buds off the early. Imma gonna have to give up on that variety. It’s supposed to be an early producer but it just has too many problems.

Not gonna give up on the Whopper bell peppers unless I have to. So much better than any others 😀 and I had several years to try others. Sometimes okay, sometimes not.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I was reading about Adam Alexander and his desire to grow a Arizonan hopi corn in Wales.
"So far, that’s included garlic from Oman, peppers from Morocco and blue maize from a Hopi farmer in Arizona. He’s had plenty of successes germinating and rooting those seeds in the Welsh countryside—even making blue polenta out of the corn. Of course, not everything goes so smoothly. The landscape and climate of Wales is quite different from Arizona, after all. "
That is why I have decided to buy seeds from climates similar to my own, Baker's Creek, zone 6, Missouri, west of me. Jung's, zone 5, Wisconsin, north of me.
Pennsylvania, born in Philly btw, is a lot more like Ireland than Illinois.
Even High Mowing, Vermont, is a different growing climate than me. It's wetter.
I think your broccoli wasn't bred to grow at your elevation and summer conditions.
BUT, if they make it, I think the next generations could do very well.
For perennials, I look for zones 3 or 4-7 bc we sometimes get a brutally cold week, -20 with wind gusts, and nothing to stop them.
Still, why waste gardening time of something that won't produce for you.