Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We haven't been sick since the Winter of '18-19 but staying without an infection has sure come at a cost. But then, I have the chronic respiratory problem and DW has her problems ... the sniffles would probably do us in.

Is it okay to be a little depressed between the warmth of Christmas and the New Year's Eve festivities?

I was just looking at a TEG thread that is 13 years old. The subject is somewhat relevant to one of our current interests. Read through 7 pages of posts. Not one of the dozen or so people who posted are still around. I know that one has passed away (no, it wasn't one that you might expect :rainbowflower). The original poster who was so very enthusiastic with every happy emoticon we had available being used -- never came back to tell us how her garden project turned out after the first month. Nothing. Some of the folks, I really miss. I know that one said that she was quite ill during her last post and she was so very involved for so many years. A couple seemed to be such knowledgeable people and were around for years - much to our benefit. No more - 13 years. Maybe unlucky to have looked back.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m sick with the crud oldest granddaughter had. Sore throat, congestion headache and sinus drainage and squeaky voice. Feel blah. No ambition. I’ll work on getting piles of laundry done today.

there's a lot of people sick now (all over again). one person we saw on Christmas day works with disabled kids as a speech therapist and says that it's been pretty bad the past few weeks. she wears a mask at work and said that she hasn't been sick yet.

we hope nobody we saw Christmas day was sick and hope it stays that way. i wash my hands pretty frequently when i'm there and also when i get home. i even had a chance to wash some pans so that is yet another good excuse to play in the warm water. :) i happened to be standing there so i just did them and saved Mom the bother.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m sick with the crud oldest granddaughter had. Sore throat, congestion headache and sinus drainage and squeaky voice. Feel blah. No ambition. I’ll work on getting piles of laundry done today.
DD just got over that. Evelyn and Izzy may have had it but it was very, very mild. DD said she is coughing again this morning, so that is strange since she has been over it for almost a week. I hope you get well soon.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is it okay to be a little depressed between the warmth of Christmas and the New Year's Eve festivities?

we're not too likely to be doing anything NY's Evening. the one friend we used to visit that evening is not feeling all that great and her daughter is also not doing well so there's that to contend with for them. we talk to them regularly on the phone so we'll touch base on NY's too just to let them know we're thinking about them.

as for old posters before my time here i see some their writings when searching for other things but that's about it. it is a good resource for people to use if they'll do the search and can find the threads of interest. :) i'm glad the posts don't expire or get removed.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m better but still feeling blah. Weather is a low of 62F and a high of 71F and 90% chance of rain. A good day to stay home, so naturally I have to drive 2 hours to Tyler. Tomorrow weather is the same, then 4 days of sunshine. Maybe I can get outside and do something.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are different personalities. I have just been reading the garden humor thread :).

From Old French personalité ... then there is personalheavy ... Won't get into it :D.

Different communication idiosyncrasies. Wow! Did that use up my syllable quota for a post? Anywho. Some folks take quite a bit of joy expressing what they think and what they think they have learned.

Over the holiday weekend, I mentioned the value of "refrigerator rolls" to a guest. He asked if the bread dough rose while in the fridge and I said "no." Not quite true but is it too trivial to communicate that the hours in the fridge reduces the time spent kneading?

Another thing is, I know that he has an interest in outdoor activities. Does that mean tromping around in the woods? How much does fishing play into his interests? Should I be going on about stream fishing and hiking, which used to mean so much to me when I was more mobile? Spread out a map and find the needed directions to just head off into the hills hardly knowing what I might find?

Teddy Roosevelt was said to go out, set a compass bearing and head off in that direction, damn whatever obstacles were in his way. I wonder how easy it was for anyone to live with Teddy, or even spend time with him, or to tell Teddy what he should or could do ... :)

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Teddy Roosevelt was said to go out, set a compass bearing and head off in that direction, damn whatever obstacles were in his way. I wonder how easy it was for anyone to live with Teddy, or even spend time with him, or to tell Teddy what he should or could do ... :)

if you've ever watched the episode of Keeping Up Appearances where the elderly lady Hyacinth and Richard are giving a ride to and she keeps saying "Go straight on!" i imagine that she was a female version of him. :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mostly cloudy with showers here, typical winter days
When it rained, we stayed indoors reading; when the rain stopped, we cleaned the garden bit by bit.

1493.jpg

The sedum (autumn joy, I just knew today that they are edible, although I don't think I will eat them.) needs to be divided next spring. I just removed the old stems and cleaned up a bit.
1499_0.jpg

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mostly cloudy with showers here, typical winter days
When it rained, we stayed indoors reading; when the rain stopped, we cleaned the garden bit by bit.

View attachment 54186
The sedum (autumn joy, I just knew today that they are edible, although I don't think I will eat them.) needs to be divided next spring. I just removed the old stems and cleaned up a bit.
View attachment 54187
The image with the book, the bouquet, and the burning candles makes for a really lovely winter tableau.