Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning!

Having my after-breakfast cup of herbal tea. The orange zest and dried cranberries went in there but DD had a stocking stuffer including peppermint and licorice tea. It's fine!

I'm not really anti-mint 😋.

Now, if I can just beef up my mints this growing season with the anise hyssop and lemon verbena. I'll try some applemint, maybe dried. I'm even willing to move some catnip to an appropriate location if it sneaks under the fence from the neighbor's yard ;).

Steve, and now
a 2nd breakfast
5C4D34FC-EF1F-45AE-9449-FAA707C45CC9.jpeg

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good Morning!

Having my after-breakfast cup of herbal tea. The orange zest and dried cranberries went in there but DD had a stocking stuffer including peppermint and licorice tea. It's fine!

Now, if I can just beef up my mints this growing season with the anise hyssop and lemon verbena. I'll try some applemint, maybe dried. I'm even willing to move some catnip to an appropriate location if it sneaks under the fence from the neighbor's yard ;).

Steve, and now
a 2nd breakfast
View attachment 54234
Looks tasty! 😋

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning!

Steve, and now
a 2nd breakfast
View attachment 54234

is that a potato pancake? :)

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
is that a potato pancake? :)
Oh I love potato pancakes! I usually make mine with a little bit of grated onion, lots of grated potatoes, and a couple eggs whipped in. Then I cook it like a pancake with olive oil. This summer we invented crab hash, which is like a potato pancake, but you mix in a handsome amount of dungeness crab instead of the eggs. Oh boy that's the best!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh I love potato pancakes! I usually make mine with a little bit of grated onion, lots of grated potatoes, and a couple eggs whipped in. Then I cook it like a pancake with olive oil. This summer we invented crab hash, which is like a potato pancake, but you mix in a handsome amount of dungeness crab instead of the eggs. Oh boy that's the best!
Based on a very odd dish I can find in one or two places in Chinatown, crab also works very well in an omelet, or in scrambled eggs (the odd thing is that it's one of the few Asian dishes I know of to require milk).

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Happy New Year! DD brought the kids over a couple of days ago and we went to Walmart. I have not been out shopping with them since the baby has been born and before I got sick, so it was fun. Wes will be 5 months old in a couple of weeks and we had to get him some new pants. I have a bunch of fabric I had planned to use to make the girls skirts and dresses so I am getting ready to start that and also make the baby a romper. I made him some bibs because DD said he was drooling a lot. I sold a couple of rag quilts and spent most of my money on more fabric. I have a lot of sewing to do. I had aprons cut out that I never made so I am going to make some of those and Izzy needs one. I made DD and Evelyn aprons a couple of years ago and now Izzy wants one. I am going to start thinking about what I am going to plant and go through my seeds. I think DD is going to do the winter sowing again in milk jugs and I think I am going to start some kale like she did. She put these little tiny about 2 inches tall plants in her garden and I did not think they would even live, but she had so much kale it was crazy. She opened the milk carton and let them get some sun and transplanted them. She had more lettuce than I did with her milk jugs and very early too.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DD is going to do the winter sowing again in milk jugs and I think I am going to start some kale like she did. She put these little tiny about 2 inches tall plants in her garden and I did not think they would even live, but she had so much kale it was crazy. She opened the milk carton and let them get some sun and transplanted them. She had more lettuce than I did with her milk jugs and very early too.
Happy New Year! I agree with you @Gardening with Rabbits, that milk jugs are rather amazing. In the next couple of days I plan to sow milk jugs with seeds of hardy annuals including primulas, pansies, dianthus and possibly some dill too. It is my hope to do an experiment with tomato seeds in milk jugs also. This method is almost carefree: the plants also need no hardening off, since they are grown outdoors for their entire lives-- and as with terrariums, the set-up is self-watering for the most part. Last summer I 'summer sowed' hardy annuals in milk jugs in early August and just left them on the back porch on the north side of the house where they got lots of bright light and just a bit of direct sun late in the day; the results were fantastic. One drawback was that the plastic degraded and became brittle fairly rapidly, so after a year or so they totally shatter. Here is a photo that shows dianthus, rudbeckia, and pansies in early September--about 4 weeks after I sowed the seeds. In the background there are also snapdragons in a mini-seed starting tray. Those domed trays are nice, but you have to keep an eye on them and remove the dome when they pop. Milk jugs do not require this kind of close monitoring because they are self-venting. Seeds started in paper pots in nursery trays were pretty much torched.

Attachments

• IMG_20220908_160559498_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220908_160559498_HDR.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20220908_155813876_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220908_155813876_HDR.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 45

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning.

Did a little better sleeping last night and had 8 hours horizontal :). Congratulated myself on that ... oh, I know. The Young barely have a clue why ;).

Went from struggling out into the living room with a smile on my face nearly ... to reading a little about homelessness. 🫥. 😶 Did you know that out of a 123 million US population in the 1930's it was estimated that there were 2 million people who were homeless?

I have had The Grapes of Wrath sitting on my book shelves for years and have not been able to pick it up and read it. Still don't feel ready. Resistance

Steve

Latest posts