Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning. I'm on to the herbal tea. I may have made a mistake with the blend - it's only okay. After deciding that the store-bought anise hyssop really was making a difference, I not only added it but put in a piece of licorice root. It's like I have too many ingredients, smells good.

The little storms have interfered with the recent WS forecasts. The weekend snow mostly amounted to something just to the south of us and a mere skiff here. It was gone by yesterday afternoon. And yet, the predicted high of 47°f (8° C) was a fail since it didn't hit 40 (4C).

I had a too hot! moment when I first arrived in the greenhouse for some transplanting tasks. Opened things up and it was immediately too cold when the brief sunshine disappeared. In some ways, it's okay since there are quite a few tiny seedlings recently moved to flats that can't take much sun for a few days. But, we have to have some sunny days to stay on schedule for the growing season.

No real sign of outdoor growth beyond the fully emerged daffodils. No buds on trees, still, only that one lawn violet and its 1/4" bloom to "brighten" the yard.

I'll resign myself to being patient ...

fidgety digitS'

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well that honeymoon didn't last long, haha.

Mary
If people had to raise their own chicken, this breed, they wouldn’t ever eat chicken again.

I was in FFA in high school and we all raised CCX. Then for 2 hours a day for 3 week, we butchered chickens. I was dang near 30 years old before I’d eat chicken again. Now it doesn’t bother me so much, but I don’t want chicken for a couple of weeks after raising them and butchering them.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
If people had to raise their own chicken, this breed, they wouldn’t ever eat chicken again.

I was in FFA in high school and we all raised CCX. Then for 2 hours a day for 3 week, we butchered chickens. I was dang near 30 years old before I’d eat chicken again. Now it doesn’t bother me so much, but I don’t want chicken for a couple of weeks after raising them and butchering them.

if you've ever done vegetarian or vegan cooking for a period of months to a year or so you'll find that almost any meat and animal fat scraps have a very icky smell after cooking (rancid or sour fat/meat).

we just cooked a 10lb ham in a large pot and i had to bury the bone and wash the pan today and it was pretty gross smelling to me (even if i love eating the ham). and it's not like we don't cook with meat here but we don't cook it that often any more where i don't notice the smell problem. it takes two to three washes before i can't smell it on the pan. the pan i use to fry burgers once in a while i can scrub and then the next time i get it out a little butter is my grease to get it hot and ready for the burgers. beef fat doesn't cause me nearly as many issues as pork or chicken fat (and it's almost never that we cook fish or seafood here other than fish sticks).

thank goodness butter and chocolate (and peanut butter!) don't cause similar issues.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coffee is ready. Still raining. Supposed to clear out in early hours tomorrow morning. Water is over the road in several places. A small lake is overflowing onto the road and water is over the road in the usual places in front of my place. Miserable mess. I’ll suit up in a little while and go out to do chores.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am waiting for the rain, waiting for the rain, waiting for the rain (or snow, or sleet, or ...)

The WS says 30% on this day or that. Or i's 20% ... I guess that there are some problems being with the 70 or 80%, at times. Shortfalls every month ... a little news about being prepared for Spring flooding but it is snowmelt and HOPEFULLY, it doesn't all get away from us in a too quick way.

Yes, a heavy rain on mountain snow could be a serious problem but here in lower elevations, we need some soil moisture.

It was 47°f (8°C) when I was checking the outdoors at 3AM. Wow. Two mornings previous it was 21°! Looked at radar map - all this green coming towards us from the south and sliding by on the east and west. We are supposed to be in the 80% chance this afternoon -- let's do it!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good evening, lol. Had my coffee this morning but I have been busy. I started trimming the blackberry bushes and rose bushes that are all bend down I guess from heavy snow on them for so long. I have piles of canes and weeds that need to go to the dump and more to cut. I started more seeds. I am worried my first ones are going to not be worth much since I am not getting sun to take them out to the greenhouse. Got on here tonight because DS was out in the yard with the cat and had the flashlight and came and told me the yard was crazy with worms. I went out and as soon as the light hits them they go into holes. I think night crawlers because they are so big. I have never seen this many before and up in the yard next to the sidewalk. I have seen them in the garden especially my box where I plant lettuce, but this is the whole yard and I think it is from all the leaves. We had rain today, but it is 44 degrees out. I wish I could take a picture.

Country Homesteader

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good Morning ALL! Happy Saturday and Happy EASTER EVE!!!!
I've been up since 2:45, had to go the bathroom, my youngest pup had to go do his business, way TOOOO hot in bedroom even with 4 (including ceiling fan) fans plus AC going, lost my spot on the bed to one of the dogs, so COFFEE IS HOT AND READY. I can't get my mind to stop thinking about my 2 yr old Beagle vet appointment in 4 hours. I know I should go with FH but I'm staying home just in case there's bad news and FH is hoping he doesn't have to make that call to me too so PLEASE everyone keep my dog in your prayers. I know, I know it's a dog but from all my entries everyone should realize I and FH treat our dogs (all 5) like they are OUR KIDS. No, he (Kozmo- 2 yr old Beagle) shouldn't have kennel cough seeing how we boarded him at the vet in Sept for a week and he was given the vaccine for it so it should still be good seeing how we haven't boarded him elsewhere and they don't go to dog parks or anywhere else that there's lots of dogs. Another reason I'm staying home is to get the meat prepped for SMOKED MEATLOAF for tomorrow at a friends house who is doing a get together for Easter.
⚠️⚠️⚠️ WARNING: if you never had SMOKED MEATLOAF try it because you won't never want it cooked in the oven again and THAT"S A PROMISE I STAND BEHIND!!!!! ⚠️⚠️⚠️

Latest posts