Coffee

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So good to see those posts about Thanksgiving, and hope you all enjoyed great time with family and friends!

I made another NY cheesecake - this time, I added homegrown pumpkin (puree) and used Speculaas biscuits as the crust on the base. The flavor is charming!

View attachment 62361

I shared most of the cake with neighbors and a friend who always collected and brought us free pallets for our projects in the garden. They also got some homemade vanilla and hazelnut cookies.

View attachment 62360

I love cheesecake, and the homemade ones are way much better than the only choice in the surrounding, McCafe... pale and boring mass production.

View attachment 62362

there are so many variations that you can go a long ways with them. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Those darn squirrels ate almost all of my persimmons. Not that the tree was loaded but I managed to get about 3-4. Luckily a friend has a mature tree that some years produces a lot. So far he's brought me a bag full. Need to bug him to bring me some. The season is not that long and I'm hoping that I'll get a total of 3 bags for this year.

Mary
I come upon these programs that either are about gardening or Include gardening. This one episode was about how to grow strawberries and the "pick your own" farm said that they are hard to grow. I agree!
Hostess asked if there is animal predation on the strawberries. Owner said, "yes", and they built a birdhouse...for a kestrel and the vermin have disappeared. Strawberries are now safe.
It is a bummer when your tree either doesn't produce OR all the fruit disappears. :hugs

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
No pictures. Eldest DD has taken over Thanksgiving bc her turkeys look as good as they taste. She complained that her gravy didn't taste as good as mine, but she is determined to use some compound spice packet with cloves and cloves are always a little overpowering.
We had "smashed" potatoes, orange-cranberry relish, somebody brought green beans?, and gravy.
I made stuffing. I bake white bread day before that has extra sugar with the yeast, cut up 3 onions, match it with same volume of celery, both finely diced, starting with 1/4 stick (equivalent) of salted butter, then cook it up with 2 pounds of ground pork. (I froze questionable celery for broth.) I brought in the sage plant that never made it into the ground last season, so I took several leaves to my old coffee grinder (used for spices only), and, to my surprise, I ended up with rubbed sage. I seasoned with the sage and with pepper and baked until the crouton sized pieces of bread just start to toast.
I cooked up 5 quarts of frozen okra, mostly from 2021, and it took 3 hours to fry it all up in bacon grease, but DD (chef) said it was perfect.
DD's had frozen pumpkin ice cream from the "Dairy Barn", and that was 1st dessert.
Other DD made a pumpkin pie and we had that for 2nd dessert.
Everyone was well satisfied fed, there were leftovers which we cleaned up for Sunday dinner. Only 3 sandwich sized packages of turkey was left to freeze. All gravy was gone.
I brought one of the pie pumpkins that I buy every year from the St John's Lutheran Church that sells them for Halloween as a fund raiser.
All pumpkins will begin being processed soon. I have the jars ready. I have only processed pumpkins for canning once, so this will be a new skill.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had "smashed" potatoes, orange-cranberry relish, somebody brought green beans?, and gravy.
I made stuffing. I bake white bread day before that has extra sugar with the yeast, cut up 3 onions, match it with same volume of celery, both finely diced, starting with 1/4 stick (equivalent) of salted butter, then cook it up with 2 pounds of ground pork. (I froze questionable celery for broth.)
We brown pork sausage for our stuffing. I read that the spices in breakfast sausage meat go well with stuffing so that is what we used this time and it was really good. I also add onions, celery, and a couple of finely diced apples for moisture-- and then chicken broth to hydrate it. Some gets stuffed in the bird, and the rest goes in a covered dish and is baked in the oven once the turkey comes out. Stuffing is my favourite part of a turkey dinner.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Morning. Persimmon is on the side, Crispin, Frosted Flakes and Post Honeycomb in the bowl with the sliced banana. Only one type of oolong for the cup but there are two ✌ varieties of oolong in the mail for seasonal enjoyment that should be here soon ☺️.

The moon is high and bright but if I stand under the deck roof just right, Orion can easily be seen above the southern horizon. There's Sirius on the collar of Canis Major leaping up on his leg ...

Gotta warn you, sometime soon I will be critiquing a recent post in the weeding tool thread.

Umm, yesterday's breakfast included two apples deployed to keep the doctor away. Unsuccessful.

Steve

Latest posts