Coffee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You see. I don't know @seedcorn .

You were the first person that I learned from that cow genetics might be the problem.

My Dad had rather severe problems drinking milk. About 35 years ago, I had so much trouble with my stomach that I decided that I must have some of those same problems. Whatever the case, it was easy to give up cow's milk by then because the substitutes were available. With so much milk in the fridge when I was a kid, it was an important part of my diet ... altho pouring it out of those wide-mouth, gallon jars was tricky 😲.

I have drank goat's milk but that was in my 20's. The only problem with it that I remember was that I did NOT like it when it was day-old.

Steve
waiting to try camel milk

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You see. I don't know @seedcorn .

altho pouring it out of those wide-mouth, gallon jars was tricky 😲.

I have drank goat's milk but

Steve
waiting to try camel milk
Camel’s milk is very rare and expensive-good luck.
Goats milk can be nasty if billy allowed to stay with flock.
Yes, I remember poring milk from wide mouth gallon jar. G’ma also used that to make butter. Was that GOOD!

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your statement on lactose intolerant, begs the question, are people lactose intolerant or intolerant of protein in Holsteins? Jersey breed has been infiltrated with this gene by breeding in Holstein genetics to improve milk production.

For you, does Guernsey, goat or sheep milk products cause you problems? Dad could drink goat milk with no dietary problems-store milk, was a different result.

Interesting article that doesn’t answer question. https://www.wisfarmer.com/story/new...eryone-should-know-about-a-2-milk/1642645001/
I wonder about this too. I know some people who are lactose intolerant who can drink goat‘s and sheep’s milk and other who can’t.
I’m hoping I can tolerate goat’s or sheep’s milk since I’ve finally become resigned to the fact that I’m likely either sensitive to milk or lactose intolerant. Either way my gut doesn’t like it. I plan on asking my doctor about getting tested next time I go.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Artichoke Lover , there's a test?!

It's a matter of degree, I gather. Yogurt & cheese are common in my diet and I don't worry about those and have no idea if they should be a concern.

G’ma also used that to make butter. Was that GOOD!
You bet! We had the screw-on paddles for the gallon jars but Bro & I often used 2 quart jars and just shook, shook, shook while watching teevee - until the butter separated. The second teevee channel had come to town during those years and the choice of shows to watch after school and on weekends ...! Anyway, it was a good job to assign kids who were frozen indoors by the entertainment industry.

;) Steve

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@digitS' Yes there’s two different types of tests for lactose intolerance and tests for milk sensitivity and allergy. I plan on getting tested because there’s a history of mild skin allergies milk in the family and while I don’t think it’s an allergy. (I’m pretty sure I tested negative for dairy allergies about 5 years ago). I want to be sure because that would be a whole other thing to deal with.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder about this too. I know some people who are lactose intolerant who can drink goat‘s and sheep’s milk and other who can’t.
I’m hoping I can tolerate goat’s or sheep’s milk since I’ve finally become resigned to the fact that I’m likely either sensitive to milk or lactose intolerant. Either way my gut doesn’t like it. I plan on asking my doctor about getting tested next time I go.
IF you can find it in stores, buy & try. IF it bothers you, you will know the answer.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Probably only the older among us will get this...
1642892684909.jpeg

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Camel’s milk is very rare and expensive-good luck.
Goats milk can be nasty if billy allowed to stay with flock.
Yes, I remember poring milk from wide mouth gallon jar. G’ma also used that to make butter. Was that GOOD!
I've had Camel CHEESE. It tasted sort of like goat cheese (wasn't all that bad)

I actually WOULD like to try straight camel milk as well if it ever became more available and cheaper. It's supposed to 1. Be good for diabetics 2. have Vitamin C and 3. Last for a REALLY long time.

I'd try horse milk too, if I was in Mongolia. And Moose, if I was in Norway (and very, very rich). Donkey as well. Heck I'd try SEAL milk which is supposed to taste like a lard milkshake (probably nasty as milk but would make a great bloomy rind cheese.)

Probably only the older among us will get this...
View attachment 46807
I get it, and I'm only 42 (almost).

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had to had a cup of coffee while I was cooking dinner tonight. I was nodding off in front of the stove.
Also a bit off topic here but does anyone else feel like their have been a lot of car wrecks in their area lately. It has seemed like I was noticing more all year but I’ve seen so many over the last 6 weeks it’s insane. And none of them have been caused by snow or ice. 4 out of the 5 times I’ve left the house in the past two weeks I’ve either seen a wreck happen or come across one within about five minutes of it happening.

Latest posts