Coffee

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
On my last cup of coffee. Don't know what I want to do today. Maybe take the day to walk around, figure out what to do first, then in succession order. I've got to get the porch cleaned up, will have a memorial for BJ here in November for the friends we made here. The screened in porch is 54' long by 12' wide, I'll tell everybody to bring lawn chairs.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
On my last cup of coffee. Don't know what I want to do today. Maybe take the day to walk around, figure out what to do first, then in succession order. I've got to get the porch cleaned up, will have a memorial for BJ here in November for the friends we made here. The screened in porch is 54' long by 12' wide, I'll tell everybody to bring lawn chairs.
Your last cup? How many cups of coffee do you drink? I only have 1 in the morning. If I need a pick me up or have a nice pastry to go with it, I'll have a cup of tea in the afternoon.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sheep milk is said to make the best cheese.

Mary I have two cups of coffee.

I picked up bricks that were holding down the weed cloth. Then I rolled up two strips of weed cloth and stuffed them in a garbage bag. I picked up the paper feed sacks that were under them and put them in two garbage bags. Still another strip of weed cloth, more bricks and more paper feed sacks, but I got tired. Took the bags to jimmy's dumpster, he was outside and we chatted a bit. Even though I didn't finish, I felt very accomplished today. I need to turn the sheep in the garden, but not until I get the weed cloth up or their sharp hooves will shred it to bits.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sheep milk IS a thing! I read an agricultural email that I regularly get talking about sheep milk production in the US, and that those sheep caretakers only number in the 100's.
Yep! Our local sheep farm sells milk but it’s not terribly popular. A llot of people buy cheese and ice cream and yogurt though!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our fav cheese is Manchego, made with sheeps milk.
I personally find Manchego a little bland for my taste. In Spanish sheep cheeses, I prefer it's raw milk cousin Zamorano, and it's smoked cousin Idizabaal.

Of course to me the ultimate Spanish cheese is the knock down knock your socks off with it's strength Cabrales, and it's cousin Picon/Picos de Europa (there's Valdeon of course, but that tends to be weaker). No blue has that much of a punch.

My absoulte favorite kind of cheese is a firm salty raw goat blue. In Europe this is personified by things like Blue de Bocage and Perslee du Chevre du Beaujolais. In this country, the closest you can get is Billy Blue, or Lively Runs Cayuga blue (when I was in Cornell, I LIVED on that stuff)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ewes produce lambs once a year. (Dorper and maybe a couple other bred ewes can produce 3 lamb crops in 2 years) . Lactation is about 5 months then they go dry for the next gestation. The ewe only produce enough milk for their own lambs only so if you pull off the lambs, you have to bottlefeed them milk replacer formula. At about the 5 month mark, they may produce very little milk , then go dry in preperation for their next year's lambs. LOTS of LABOR to handle and more specialized facilities as well as limited time of milk production is just not worth doing economically for most sheep farmers.