Coffee

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Morning! One cup coffee, one each chamomile and peppermint tea. Hopefully a productive day ahead.

We've got the crush-and-run stone down on one side under the Pavillion, need to move the stock tables so we can do the other side. Then the plant shelves go up.

Then off to the super secret greenhouses to purchase starts and hanging baskets (mine are still in sproutling stage, lol).

We have several nice warm dry days ahead, until we get to Thursday, opening day. Of course! 🤣

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
images

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very much looking forward to coffee this morning.

Yesterday, tilled up some of the lawn. Part 1 of a several part effort to double the size of our home garden. The lawn area served little purpose since it was in full sun. It will take awhile to loosen the bluegrass and move it into a compost pit. The quality of the soil there is somewhat questionable altho it has grown grass just fine over the years.

Shuffled through with the tiller, just trying to break the grass free. I may be able to move on to another part this afternoon. Small areas so the tilling amounts to a good deal of backing, turning, starting again ... The tiller and I am in something of a wrestling match but the alternative is to use the grubbing hoe. I'm not sure which one would be more work. Funny how I bought that thing 50 years ago (not kidding :)) and most of my involvement with it has been avoiding its use :D.

Breakfast was applesauce on whole-wheat toast with a banananananna. Coffee will come later with the 2nd breakfast after some household chores and maybe drinking it in the car running to an appointment.

Steve, with Stevia seedlings just now popping up in the kitchen and ready for a move to the South Window :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shuffled through with the tiller, just trying to break the grass free. I may be able to move on to another part this afternoon. Small areas so the tilling amounts to a good deal of backing, turning, starting again ... The tiller and I am in something of a wrestling match but the alternative is to use the grubbing hoe. I'm not sure which one would be more work. Funny how I bought that thing 50 years ago (not kidding :)) and most of my involvement with it has been avoiding its use :D.

that is one way to improve a yard that i approve of even if it does mean using a tiller to start with. :)

after having blown up two small tillers here in this clay Mom decided that perhaps it wasn't a thing for her to use. and, well, it would help if she actually understood what oil and proper two stroke fuels are for, but that's a whole different issue...

i've only used tillers here a few times and decided it was also a waste of time but it did accomplish what i needed to get done (break up a crusty hard surface layer enough so i could level a large space).

are you going to abandon the remote garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug , It may not be abandoned and may not be abandonment.

I will explain a little. It is really difficult to downsize there and much larger than needed by the 2 of us for fresh veggies and filling 2 freezers. Since ending the farmers' marketing we have been giving away a good deal of what is grown even downsized which is fun and feels good but the whole thing is a lot of work. Nevertheless, we would like to have that opportunity and all that we enjoy with being there.

With the death of our former gardening neighbor and property owner, things have changed significantly. The widow may decide to leave the large home and enter assisted living. It really seems to me to be the best route for her. None of the "kids" (age 50 ++) are likely to return to the property. If she wants us there, we may well commit to another season but things really look "up in the air."

It's Spring! There's no messing with the calendar. Shucks, we should be able to make use of an expanded backyard garden under any circumstance.

Steve 🍀

Latest posts