common sense out the window .......the new beginning

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
last year while getting the 49 store put together, placed the 15hp compressor in place the owner wanted his mason buddy to do the final wiring<no skin off my nose>.

while on my sabbatical the motor on it died, last week it died again..? had gilligan unbolt it and take it to the motor shop called the owner and asked him to do a real fine tooth look into the motor and while did it die again, called me back the next day and told me the motor single phased and burned out... asked him to go ahead and rewind the motor.

he did tell me that this was not a warranty problem..i'm good what that. my g/m had a hissy/temper fit.<they fixed why should i pay them again>.... i know jay his people do great work when it comes to motors.

drove down there to do a little CSI on the problem. opened the breaker panel 60 amp breaker good, 6 ga wire looks good to the disconnect, from the disconnect to the motor looked good, till you got to the line in connection....well theres the problem...L1 was lose
IMG_0957[1].JPG

IMG_0954[1].JPG

showed the photos the the owner and g/m her tune changed, she wanted to charge the owners buddy for the motor..
one look shut her down...

anyway told them that i was going to removed all the 6 ga wire and put in 4 ga wire from the breaker panel to the connection block at the compressor<bigger the wire less resistants>.... oh lord how much is that going to cost me?
told her that we have it rolled up in my area to do the job...

the connection blocks came in thursday gilligan and i went down yesterday yanked out the old wire, pulled new wire, mounted the motor, made all the connections<oh yes made sure they were all tight> fired it up... you have to love when you have correct rotation, ran it for an hour shut it down and re-tighten all the connections again...

purrs like a kitten now........

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
had a good chuckle yesterday, the g/m called and asked were i was
<in my office>
be there in a sec..
she walks in and hands me 4 invoices totaling around 12,700.00, you are spending way to much money and you need to find another boiler company their killing us...

lets see
1st one 5,500.00 don't pay that one, that's for the loaner computer and is only a threat if we don't return it
<did we return it?>
it's right here all boxed up the driver will return Thursday...
<thank you>

2nd one 1896.00 had to read over it a couple times..this is for the service truck compressor at the 49 store

3&4th ones were from the boiler company.
2340.00 for re-roping and muding the burner tube, showed her the quote for 2845.00 we first thought we would have to pull the whole front apart. so we got a deal on this one for a saturday job.
2957.00 pump and gaskets. made a call and had them remove the pump since it has not been installed yet, so that bill dropped to 178.00

she was in a little better mood after that....<cant you find a cheaper boiler company> a big smile came across my face....
<what>
we went down this road about them about 6 years ago and it costed us more money and loss of production.
<yes i remember now>
put my signature on all the invoices off she went to code them and send them into corporate to be payed

so after all said and done i only spent $2,518.00 of the 12,700.00 in December..
but next month :cool: will be a whole new story........

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
funny you mentioned that, last week if it could break it did :hide
refurb...
had a motor short out on a blaster the day they called another blaster went down over nighted those parts once those 2 blaster were up the third took a dump still trying to fix that one...

retread...
#1 extruder heater motor shorted out which in turn smoked the contacter block<gilligan replaced it while i was on my sabbatical last year> while waiting on those parts..
#2 exturder motor started to squeal <kept running it till it died>bearings failed not bad for 10 years.
got #1 up and running should have the other motor monday

it was motor madness all last week between having to purchase 2 specialty motors and having one rebuilt plus ordering all the other parts, put a hit on the bottom line at the end of the month profits....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
funny you mentioned that, last week if it could break it did :hide
refurb...
had a motor short out on a blaster the day they called another blaster went down over nighted those parts once those 2 blaster were up the third took a dump still trying to fix that one...

retread...
#1 extruder heater motor shorted out which in turn smoked the contacter block<gilligan replaced it while i was on my sabbatical last year> while waiting on those parts..
#2 exturder motor started to squeal <kept running it till it died>bearings failed not bad for 10 years.
got #1 up and running should have the other motor monday

it was motor madness all last week between having to purchase 2 specialty motors and having one rebuilt plus ordering all the other parts, put a hit on the bottom line at the end of the month profits....

do you have security cameras at these places? a lot of things going all at once gets my suspicion nerve twitching...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
had a strange phone call yesterday from my second home <murfreesboro tn> they have been getting mis-cures out of chamber #2 so they stopped using it, then he explained that chamber #1 had oil leaking on the floor and the bell was ringing and the temp was raising at the end of the cure, when they opened it smoked poured out of it......

someone was watching over them....raising temp at the end of the cure means chamber fire, if you open it at that point you would have a flash fire and anyone at the door would have been burned or even killed....
you never open it for 24 hrs..period

so after hanging up i knew what was coming got home and transferred funds into my checking account. went to work this morning at 8:05 the owner called.
have a favor to ask of you..
you want me in murfreesboro monday and how many days?
um yes how did you know?
they called me yesterday and i knew right off the bat you were going to volunteer me..
you stay out there till both chambers are working correctly!!!!!

so packing up tools tomorrow and then packing my bags saturday for another world win trip to murfreesboro on sunday,

if any of you happen to be in the area next week message me and we can have dinner....

Latest posts