Container Gardening

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@KD_Olive, those gerberas are beautiful. You must know what you are doing with them. I haven't tried those new light weight pots, but have admired them. Do they hold up for a few years?

Thanks! And yes, the pots hold up great! I've had mine about 5 years now and they're worry free for me. Now, we don't have extreme cold here, so I'm not sure just how cold they can stand. But I have had clay pots crack during a cold snap while these held up just fine.

Karla

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Those are beautiful KD_olive. I've never tried growing gerberas. Are they easy to grow? They must be a southern plant because no one seems to grow them here.

Mary

I've had really good luck with them. They love containers. If I fertilze them, the leaves can get really overcrowded, and they'll stop blooming. So I just pinch off a leaf here and there to keep them thinned out and deadhead the blossoms before they go to seed. If you keep them from going to seed, they will bloom consistently all summer. If not, they bloom in cycles.

I tried planting seeds from this pot last winter, and while they're living, their growth is really slow. I'm not sure if they'll ever bloom but it will be interesting to see. :)

Karla

KD_Olive

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks! And yes, the pots hold up great! I've had mine about 5 years now and they're worry free for me. Now, we don't have extreme cold here, so I'm not sure just how cold they can stand. But I have had clay pots crack during a cold snap while these held up just fine.

Karla
Those are beautiful KD_olive. I've never tried growing gerberas. Are they easy to grow? They must be a southern plant because no one seems to grow them here.

Mary
And yes, very easy! I only water when the blossoms start to droop.. I've never had any problems with pests or diseases. They're gorgeous while my cool wave pansies are covered in powdery mildew. :mad:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_0479.JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love the colors! What have you got in the green planter?
I threw away the tag. All I know is that it's a perennial. I had an orange calibrachoa that was perfect because it picked up the orange from the coop but some animal smashed it. So I had to settle for this one. I'm not crazy about it. the flowers are too dainty and aren't noticeable from a distance. It will be there only for this season.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I threw away the tag. All I know is that it's a perennial. I had an orange calibrachoa that was perfect because it picked up the orange from the coop but some animal smashed it. So I had to settle for this one. I'm not crazy about it. the flowers are too dainty and aren't noticeable from a distance. It will be there only for this season.

Mary

My advice is to take the darn thing out and replace with another orange cali! Life is too short to put up with plants you don't love.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My advice is to take the darn thing out and replace with another orange cali! Life is too short to put up with plants you don't love.
I went back to the nursery that I bought it from but they didn't have the orange. Maybe I should have gone to another one. :rolleyes:

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here you go Mary, I just bought several orange ones, I'll give you a couple...I wish :).

There's a little nursery in town that sells mostly annuals and she has some amazing variety. That's where I get orange mint every year, and most of the plants for containers. She's only open for 70 days though and her stuff goes fast! If you wait too long you're just out of luck.
I got there the first week she opened and bought most of the annuals I'll need this year, and because it's too early to put them in I have them on a pallet on the patio.
I made a little hoopy with re-wire and covered that with plastic. At night the plants get tucked in with a frost blanket. So far so good.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here you go Mary, I just bought several orange ones, I'll give you a couple...I wish :).

There's a little nursery in town that sells mostly annuals and she has some amazing variety. That's where I get orange mint every year, and most of the plants for containers. She's only open for 70 days though and her stuff goes fast! If you wait too long you're just out of luck.
I got there the first week she opened and bought most of the annuals I'll need this year, and because it's too early to put them in I have them on a pallet on the patio.
I made a little hoopy with re-wire and covered that with plastic. At night the plants get tucked in with a frost blanket. So far so good.
Does she live out of the area? Is that why she's opened for so few days?

Save me the biggest Calii!

Mary

Latest posts