Container Gardening

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a planting I did yesterday. Its a stone bench with a planter in the middle.
I used 5 varieties of ferns, two types of hellebore, a lowish anemone, a golden leafed hosta and one clump of golden Creeping Jenny to spill over the side. It should fill in nicely, I'm anxious to see how all the ferns look when they mature. This is not mine.

Getting set up.
. DSCN3653.JPG

Finished left side. The whole patio from the right side.
DSCN3655.JPG DSCN3660.JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, it looks really good. Those will be permanent plantings right? Love that patio and wooden bench!

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
A client asked me to plant some boxwood in the bed below the un-railed edge of their deck. She was concerned about somebody stepping off, it's about a 2 foot drop, so it would be a painful landing.
I did plant the boxwood, but they grow so slow it will be a few years for them to be a visual aid to the drop. So I put some container plantings along the edge in the meantime.

DSCN4028.JPG

They are coleus, bacopa, salvia, sweet potato vine and African daisy. They filled in well and she loved the way they solved the problem. I think they turned out pretty good. A lot of those plants were from the clearance rack at HD, but they had time to grow out of the uglies before my clients came for the summer.

DSCN4027.JPG

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had the same problem at the Westport house but drop was more like 10 feet. Had a landscape company plant a row of azaleas, for $2,000 a week later there was a few bare sticks left. DEER LOVE AZALEAS :barnie:he

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saturday I found a YELLOW mandevilla!!!!! I've been looking for one for a long time.
I'm trying to decide if it will be ok planted in a big container. What do yall think?

Latest posts