Corn Thread for 2014

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bay, about how much would you say your Anasazi corn's DTM is? I was planning on trying a few varieties of sweet corn next year but I want something that can finish tasseling ("flowering") before the commercial corn gets to that point (either that or something that is late enough to start tasseling after the commercial stuff is done - fashionably late but I still want it to be able to mature here).

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@TheSeedObsesser I planted the Anasazi corn April 15 and picked those 3 ears June 24. Does that answer your question? We only ate those three ears, I am letting the rest go to seed and dry.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup, pretty much. In that case it might be a little bit later than the commercial corn here. Would you mind sharing seeds when you get them?

Out of curiosity - how do you dry your corn? I heard that sweet corn is much harder to dry than dent/flint/flour corns.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year was the first time I grew corn in many years. So I am no expert in drying corn. but what I did was to let it fully mature and the husks were drying. I picked it, husked it and let it finish drying inside some more. We shelled it and I spread it out on cookie sheets until it was totally dry.

I'll probably do the same thing with the Anasazi corn.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bay, about how much would you say your Anasazi corn's DTM is? I was planning on trying a few varieties of sweet corn next year but I want something that can finish tasseling ("flowering") before the commercial corn gets to that point (either that or something that is late enough to start tasseling after the commercial stuff is done - fashionably late but I still want it to be able to mature here).
It might not have the biggest ears but you could try some Yukon Chief, it is quite early.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had a crazy storm come through here over the weekend. Lots of rain and heavy winds. It knocked all my corn down, some flat. And not all the same way, the corn laid in every direction. I had to use string and got most of it up, some are still a little tilted but the corn still looks good and healthy. Only two stalks broke. Do you think it will be ok? I've never grown corn before. If it helps it is popcorn, strawberry. The plants are about 5-6 feet. It's taller than I am and I'm 5'2 so... A few of my huge sunflowers that were just starting to bloom got knocked down by the winds, they died. And a potted tree too. On top of all that a lady drove through our backyard! Yup, right through and around the gardens. In total she went through three yards. It was an interesting night.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Corn will be fine. If left, it would have turned back to sky leaving goose knocked corn. The ones that broke (green snap) are done. Go ahead and clean them out as lower plant will live and rob nutrients.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your corn should be ok. Sounds like Mother Nature dealt you a blow, not to mention a midnight marauder circling your back yard!

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I will pull the broken ones out. It was the wind and rain that knocked the corn down. Somehow the lady missed all my gardens. Mistook the yards for a road but drove around the gardens. It looks like she went down to the cul-de-sac and into a driveway then jumped some brick/rocks and drove through the side of their yard into the backyard of the house next to us, through our backyard then turned onto the side of the house and into our front yard. Then backed up into the neighbors yard and into our driveway instead of going down the curb. All the yards connect, no one has fences around here. We are a few houses up from the cul-de-sac. Called the cops, gave them the plate number but I don't know what ever happened.

Latest posts