Corn Thread for 2014

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Feel sorry for lady if real old. Some day that will be us. Sounds like she doesn't belong behind wheel of car.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't get a good look. I didn't want to get anywhere near the car. But I don't think she was very old, in her 50's maybe late 40's. I do agree, she should not have been driving.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't get a good look. I didn't want to get anywhere near the car. But I don't think she was very old, in her 50's maybe late 40's. I do agree, she should not have been driving.
No kidding! Must have been hammered.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I shelled out the Painted Mountain corn yesterday and spread the kernels out to dry better. Pretty corn, isn't it?

Corn PMountain.jpg

I picked the Anasazi corn, shucked it and spread the ears to dry. Some was dry enough to shell. I had pollination problems with my corn, plus snails decided that the Anasazi silks were their breakfast buffet. I hate snails. Oh well, at least I have enough seed for a bigger corn patch next year!

Corn Anasazi drying.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
i love Painted Mountain. Especially when you see them at first, when you peel off the husks. Your Anasazi looks like a pretty corn too, Bay. Sorry you had snail problems. Snails! Eeeyuck!1

Reactions: Hal

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Painted Mountain is amazing. I'm quite jealous.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Painted Mountain has a rounded top like a flint corn. @thistlebloom says it's a flour corn, I popped one in my mouth and chomped down. It didn't break my teeth and did, in fact have a "mealy" feel to it. :lol:

I think it is Jared that planted the Gem corn

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, since your pollination wasn't the best, you have large rounds which don't dent even in dent hybrids. I thought I could see dents in the flat kernels. Flints are so hard-unless not dried-they would break your teeth. Lower pix. Upper does look like flint type.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn the lower pic is the sweet corn and it dents in as it dries. The top pic is the Painted Mountain that is supposed to be a flour corn, but it is rounded like a flint. Confusing a poor Southerner!

Latest posts