Corn Thread for 2014

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Mel, the corn is growing now. I won't have any until harvest, but I will be happy to exchange seed with you! I am also growing some Anasazi sweet corn, but I don't know how it would do in your climate. I'll send however many you want, when I get seed. I am trying some different varieties just for grins and to see what grows best and what we like.

@the1honeycomb I have a Family Grain mill that I use to make cornmeal. It will mill flour and dent corn, but not flint corn. I also use it to mill flour from wheat that I bought. Fresh is sooooo good! Last year I grew Daymon Morgan's Kentucky Butcher corn and let it dry so I could make cornmeal. I just mill what I will use for a few cornbread batches, the whole corn will keep for a long time.

I bought my grain mill here.
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/fgm-motorized-family-grain-mill-fgm-2001.html

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Love it!! how many ears do you need to make corn meal for several batches?
and do you make enough flour for the year?? if so how much grain do you need?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got 50 ears of corn last year.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/me-and-the-corn.13660/

On page 2 is a pic of the corn. The really dark red corn on top made turquoise colored cornbread. I thought it would be red or at least pink. Never in a 100 years would I have thought red corn=turquoise cornbread. :lol: As you can see, the corn patch is not real big. I have that same patch planted in Anasazi corn this year.

I don't know how many ears to make cornbread, we shelled all the corn and stored it in glass jars. One cup corn makes a little over a cup of cornmeal. I run it through the mill several times, starting with coarse, then getting finer. I mill it as needed. I still have a little of that corn left that is not milled. It was a good variety.

This year I am growing Painted Mountain to check it out for corn meal and Anasazi corn to check it out for sweet corn. I have a patch in the back yard of Peaches N' Cream corn that a friend gave me the seed. It is a sweet corn.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look what I found in the Painted Mountain patch! I only planted it April 11 and it has been 39 days!
Corn PM tassel.jpg

And Parker, my garden helper. He is a CORN DOG!
Corn PM Parker.jpg

Painted Mountain has painted stalks too!!

Corn PM stalks.jpg

And look at the Peaches N' Cream! There are tiny silks starting to show!
Corn Peacnes tassels.jpg

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That Painted Mountain is such a beauty! I can't wait to get mine in.
Last time I grew it a friend asked for the stalks to make her fall decoration by her front door. They kept that dark color and looked striking with the gourds and stuff.

Mel

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mighty corney there baymul :) Heres a picture of my corn.

002.JPG
not planted yet ... but soon.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our growing season is basically all year. I don't know how I would deal with as short of growing season that you have. But maybe that's not so bad....get it all done at once. :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today our grand daughter and I planted the Oaxacan Green Dent corn. I butchered the last 5 ducks a week ago and turned the chickens into the duck pen. The hens have roto-tilled it for me, ate up the bugs and everything else they could find. I raked the leaf compost back in rows, so we could plant the corn seed in the dirt. It has been raining all evening, a nice slow gentle rain. Perfect. We want to see if it makes green cornbread!

Sam BigDeer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Baymule, I am following this thread with interest; I will be looking for your reports on the Oaxacan Green Dent corn.. Thanks for posting the info..
Love to all, Sam..

Latest posts