Corn Thread for 2014

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wow you planted it together rather close. I planted mine about 6-8 inches apart and it seems to be doing ok but taking up alot of space!! so I will amend that next time I may be putting some more in the ground very soon!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted the Peaches N' Cream in rows 1 1/2' apart, spaced at 6-8 inches apart. The Painted Mountain is planted in a small bed on a 6" grid.

Here is the Anasazi corn I planted April 15. It had a lot of skips, so I transplanted the plants to group them together better. last year I planted corn in this bed and planted butterbeans so it could run up the corn. Big. Mistake. This year I have the trellis in place so the beans won't pull down the corn stalks after I harvest the corn. I planted the other half of this bed in butterbeans a few days ago. The corn isn't high enough yet to plant the butterbeans on it yet.

Anasazi corn and Polly.jpg

Mel

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have been planting a variety called Sunshine for several years. Its a shorter plant, only 4 to 5 feet tall, and stays longer at harvest than Golden Bantam. Got the original seed from Victory Seeds. Says it was developed at NDSU. Great plant for the cool and windy summers on the northern plains.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yippie! Got my corn in the ground yesterday! I goofed on the varieties I mentioned besides the Glass Gem, I planted blue jade and early sunglow. Both are sweet types and supposed to be short. So no massive jungle in my garden.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm growing corn for the first time, strawberry popcorn. I don't know much about growing it, so this whole thing is a learning experience. If this does well I want to try one of the shorter varieties of sweet corn next year. I really like the looks of that blue jade corn, or maybe Anasazi. I love anything purple or different.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Question? can I plant the next crop of corn in with the beans that are already coming up or should I wait till I can give it it's own space??:idunno

Latest posts