Corn Thread for 2014

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm growing corn for the first time, strawberry popcorn. I don't know much about growing it, so this whole thing is a learning experience. If this does well I want to try one of the shorter varieties of sweet corn next year. I really like the looks of that blue jade corn, or maybe Anasazi. I love anything purple or different.
I just looked up strawberry popcorn, and those are really cool. To bad I don't have enough space :\

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Question? can I plant the next crop of corn in with the beans that are already coming up or should I wait till I can give it it's own space??:idunno

I don't know since I've never done them together that way. I do know that in a three sisters planting, the corn is planted first and is up before the beans go into the ground. The corn must be a pretty sturdy variety -- usually a corn for grinding vs a sweet corn -- so the stalks are strong enough to hold the climbing bean plants.

Just reread the question. If you have bush beans planted there, you might be able to harvest one main crop about the time the corn is ready to take over that space. Pole beans and corn would not do well together there.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is why your Smart REd!!! :love the bush beans are about 8 inches and I think if I plant the corn now the beans should be done:idunno
of course some of the beans are the drying beans i got from Monty so they need to stay int he ground until dry:th but would they be alright drying surrounded by corn ?? o_O

Mel

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
baymule, I would gladly trade corn seed with you or anyone else that would like to. This Sunshine corn was grown miles from any other corn so purity should be there, right? lol Anyway I am looking for a flint or a flour type, preferably a shorter plant and (well) under 100 days or what ever comes close. I have acquired a second garden space this season so as a seed saver I will add a few new varieties to the list.:yaThought I would add that little guy.
@Mel you might have to make some corn seed swaps......... :clap

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Mel I will have some Painted Mountain. I am pretty sure it is a flint type and is was developed for cold climates. And here is, down in HOT Texas! :lol:

Mel

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sounds like a winner. So how would we do this, exchange addresses and mail the packages? What is the seed count we would send? If possible I would like 80 plus seeds. I have many saved from 2013. If not, no problem.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i'm in!! I only have one type but I would like to trade and I would need a lot less than 80 like 25 maybe!! I would even pay if I don't have what you are looking for but let me know I don't know how to make flour but wow that sounds like fun

Latest posts