1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. A few pictures from this week - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Cougar at home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bobm, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Feb 26, 2019
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted

Less than a mile from our home in this small town ( suburbia within 10 miles from Vancouver, Wa.) a lady came home from work with her 3 little kids in tow right after 5 pm and glanced through their sliding glass door into their back yard and guess what she saw ? Why a cougar having a nap in their back yard. :th Their home is right at the edge of town and there is a 10 acre wooded area right next to their back yard. She called the local Police Dept. as well as the Fish and Game Dept. . The cougar woke up and left before the Police person arrived. Are you sure that it was a cougar and not a neighborhood cat ? :eek: :he Oh well, we will keep an eye out... :fl

thejenx likes this.
  2. Feb 26, 2019
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

i'm glad it got away.

ducks4you likes this.
  3. Feb 27, 2019
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

I would not let my little kids out to play ever again. And I would get a big barky dog.

Beekissed likes this.
  4. Feb 27, 2019
    Zeedman

Zeedman Deeply Rooted

I would only let the kids out to play if a couple dogs were with them... breeds likely to protect the children, like bull dogs or pit bulls.

ducks4you likes this.
  5. Feb 27, 2019
    so lucky

so lucky Garden Master

It seems like we are hearing about more attacks by cougars in fairly populated areas. There was a man a couple weeks ago who was attacked and managed to kill the young cougar with his bare hands--and a foot on the cat's throat.
    I wonder what would have happened to bobm's cougar if it had still been there when the cops arrived.

6. Feb 27, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    Lucky us, we now have people introducing cougars into states where they have not lived in decades. We have had legitimate sightings in IL.

7. Feb 27, 2019
    so lucky

so lucky Garden Master

Gee, I thought it was just that the cougars were spreading on their own. :hide Why don't we re-introduce mammoths and saber-toothed tigers while we are at it?

Ridgerunner likes this.
  8. Feb 27, 2019
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

You didn't see that show last night, can't remember which channel it was. They are working on cloning mammoth and have a game reserve in Siberia that wants them. I don't recall them mentioning saber-toothed tigers but they did have the head of a frozen ice age wolf that DNA testing showed was an ancestor of the modern dog.

baymule likes this.
  9. Feb 27, 2019
    canesisters

canesisters Garden Master

That's what happened here... so the urban legend goes.
    There is a HUGE military training base (HUGE land.. not really all that much in structures) nearby. The story goes that the deer were getting so thick that 'someone' introduced a pair of cougars. The gov denies the entire thing! But... there have been documented sightings with pictures all around the base.....
    We have at least one here on the landfill. Truckers have gotten shots of 'her'. All blurry and distant, like Big Foot ;)

baymule, ducks4you and Carol Dee like this.
  10. Feb 27, 2019
    bobm

bobm Garden Addicted

Rhodesian Ridge dogs are reputed to go after lions in Africa. My Queensland Blue Healer ( with Dingo genetics ) made mincemeat out of one when it came onto our property in Cal. .