Cougar at home

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm is there no one near year that these ranchers can pay to kill them? We have some hunters here who will kill the coyotes/coywolves and sell the pelts. The going rate used to be about $55/pelt.
YUP !!! All of the serious ranchers OWN GUNS and we all know how to use them. Too, there are some varmint hunters that come from time to time and ask permission to hunt coyotes and more often than not permission is granted.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems like we are hearing about more attacks by cougars in fairly populated areas. There was a man a couple weeks ago who was attacked and managed to kill the young cougar with his bare hands--and a foot on the cat's throat.
I wonder what would have happened to bobm's cougar if it had still been there when the cops arrived.
I have seen the follow up stories concerning that cougar. It was determined to be a "Kitten." The slant seems to be negative towards the guy that killed it because it was your. I guess a kitten going for your throat is not a big enough threat. I would love to see one, however.From a safe distance . They have killed them to extinction in New England..

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have seen the follow up stories concerning that cougar. It was determined to be a "Kitten." The slant seems to be negative towards the guy that killed it because it was your. I guess a kitten going for your throat is not a big enough threat. I would love to see one, however.From a safe distance . They have killed them to extinction in New England..
Don’t tell DNR, they’ll relocate them.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
At the home I manage down in Angels Camp CA, there is a local mountain lion. I've seen him several times on the "Arlo" camera system, and every year he takes down a deer on the empty lot two homes up. (he/she obviously takes down other deer elsewhere).Otherwise the deer would overrun the golf course. We also have fox down there. Gorgeous and out and about in the early evenings and early mornings. I've posted pics of them on here.

Coyote were prevalent in Murphys and Arnold, CA. Packs of them. One of my queensland's tried to chase one, but it was bigger than her and I was able to re-call her back to me. I loved hear them, but know that they are a scourge on the farmers/ranchers, so I support the periodical culling of their populations.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
At the home I manage down in Angels Camp CA, there is a local mountain lion. I've seen him several times on the "Arlo" camera system, and every year he takes down a deer on the empty lot two homes up. (he/she obviously takes down other deer elsewhere).Otherwise the deer would overrun the golf course. We also have fox down there. Gorgeous and out and about in the early evenings and early mornings. I've posted pics of them on here.

Coyote were prevalent in Murphys and Arnold, CA. Packs of them. One of my queensland's tried to chase one, but it was bigger than her and I was able to re-call her back to me. I loved hear them, but know that they are a scourge on the farmers/ranchers, so I support the periodical culling of their populations.
The coyotes cause many casualties to ranchers' livestock . What most people do not hear about the damage caused to vegetable and orchard farmers. Coyotes chew through the drip irrigation lines so that a small area of a row is flooded, but the rest of the row is denied water and causes crop damage or death. A coyote will chew one drip line to get a drink, then go to the next and the next ones until the get tired of the game. The farmer is now faces in repairing / replacing the plastic lines. Then there are the disease factors caused by coyotes, As they travel through row crop lands they pick up many types of pathogens by rolling in or eating feces from rats, mice, other animals AND field workers that urinate and deficate in those fields ( yes, I have seen this happen many times even after when the farm owner sets out porta poties ) . Then the coyotes bush against field crops / fruit grapes, to spread the pathogens . Then the crop items are harvested, and sent out on their way to your table and when you and your neighbors get sick by eating at a restaurant or farmers' market or your back yard ... guess who gets the blame. Hint... it's not the coyote.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

We have lots of coyotes. I see their footprints in the mud and snow. I have only seen one 4-5 times in 40 years. I don't worry about them but I do carry a big stick when I walk in the woods with my Grandsons. I live in a small town with some big (for here) farms and lots of rural homes. Many people live here and commute to Boston for work. Their are a lot of hobby famers and gardeners. You should see them freak out when a predator is seen on a trail cam. A very occasional bear. I have heard that hunters know where it is but keep it quiet to protect it. There are the usual fox and fishers which send people into a tail spin. I must say fishers when mating sound like a woman being murdered. And once or twice a season the coyotes are mating and it does sound a bit terrifying. I read the pups practice their voice in the spring. My horse is outside except in terrible weather. I have seen him run off a coyote and other smaller predators and do not worry about him. My vet wants him out 24/7 so I listen to her, not those who think they know better than an equine vet.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You should carry a gun!!! Where I used to keep my horses the farmer's dog started running with coyotes and one coyote ran me up a fence, until he got tired of the game and left, some 30 minutes later. Had I had a gun on me I would have had a nice pelt. They have teeth and are MORE dangerous than most dogs, PLUS my Vet is the only person that I know that is protected against rabies. I sure am not!!!!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should carry a gun!!! Where I used to keep my horses the farmer's dog started running with coyotes and one coyote ran me up a fence, until he got tired of the game and left, some 30 minutes later. Had I had a gun on me I would have had a nice pelt. They have teeth and are MORE dangerous than most dogs, PLUS my Vet is the only person that I know that is protected against rabies. I sure am not!!!!
Nope.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, coyotes are more dangerous than dogs. They can and do kill dogs several times larger than them by baiting the dog into a running fight ,then eat the carcass. I lost my solid 90 lbs Boxer to this technique.
I had the rabies series vaccine when I worked at a University Vet. Pathology Dept. as I used to necropsy most of the rabies suspects that came in. Averaged just over 100 specimens per year but only 4-6 that actually tested positive.

Latest posts