Cow manure

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
As someone who buys manure I learned hard way they are not all equal. Make sure it is screened. One I could not believe how cheap someone on CL was selling it. After delivered it was half uncomposted stall cleanings :barnieyou get what you pay for
If the uncomposted stall cleanings are from a horse farm ... NO problem, during breeding season, I had up to 50 head of horses on my ranch. I used the fresh manure from that day onto my garden, on my orchard as well as around shade and redwood trees . Most of the daily cleanings went straight out onto the pasture up to 4" thick. You should see the LUSH NEW GROWTH after a week ! :celebrate

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dad was a fairly young guy but growing up on a farm, he should have known better: He cleaned the corral one spring, using the scraper blade on the tractor. After spreading and leveling it on a corner of the pasture, he put a fence around the area and planted a garden - everything came up well. The spring rains had stopped so he watered the garden. In a day or so, everything was cooked!! Don't plant on a pile of fresh cow manure!

I know a lady who had a similar situation. She said that her father grew only tomatoes. After he ran the cows out of the winter corral, he tilled the ground and planted between the flakes of a mulch of old hay. Thru the summer, he never waters (?) his tomato patch and has great success. I don't know. You need to assess that for yourself. She grew up in the Green Bluff area.

Another lady said that her dad used a rule of thumb and put down one 50# bag of cow manure for one tomato plant ... (can you tell that I'm thinking of planting tomatoes?) Anyway, I seldom use cow manure because it is so low nitrogen but obviously not low enuf when it's fresh! I don't think I could find 50# bags if I wanted them but don't like the idea of hauling them to and around the garden. I'm willing to do some of that with composted chicken manure.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is all organic. He sells beef. No hormones, no antibiotics, grass/alfalfa fed beef. No spraying, but I was meaning like getting E. coli or something because manure. I always put even fresh manure down in the fall and aged manure I never know how old for sure, so never put around leafy greens, but this is 2 years old. I just put some where I planted pole beans. I think for lettuce and stuff I will put dirt on top of it and not have it close to leaves and the strawberries are not new. I may just put the manure and put straw on top of the manure and straw on top. Not sure.
Could you try it on half, knowing the risk of it burning your plants? But personally I think you're safe.

Mary

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess I'm the bold one I'd put that stuff down, little straw over it or move the straw spread it, and then cover it back up and call it a day and enjoy the benefits of well fed plants.

Or if you still have rabbits I'd be in there with a cup scooping and spreading it around letting them do its thing.

Unless its an omnivore or a carnivore the manure when aged it should be fine.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am not worried about burning. I guess I am worried for nothing. I was just worried about eating a strawberry that touched poo.
MUCH better than Miracle Gro chemical fertilizer! I bet it's similar to the CRAP that the farmers use on their fields and WE get to breathe it in every year!! I would MUCH rather clean chicken or horse crap off of my strawberries!!!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not worried about burning. I guess I am worried for nothing. I was just worried about eating a strawberry that touched poo.

Just wash it.
When I was a kid I worked at a riding stable during the summers. I can't tell you how many pounds of gas station fried chicken I ate with the same grubby hands that had groomed 50 horses not to mention handled sweat stained tack & blankets... and most likely the pitchfork and wheel barrow.

But it you're really that concerned, skip it. You won't enjoy the strawberries.. there will always be the 'ich' factor.

Latest posts