Cow manure

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:yuckyuck @canesisters !
We would stop for dinner coming back from CW Reenactments that were hours drive from our house smelling of horse sweat, Our sweat, and smoke (from our campfires) AND no shower for 2 days. Horse show people do the same thing returning from a show.
We even changed into clean clothes, but it made little difference in our odor.
I wash my hands before eating after handling my horses, now in the back yard, but, like my grandmother said, "You have to eat a peck of dirt in your lifetime."
I cannot convince my good friend, used to be next door neighbor, that it's ok to eat the eggs from my hens. They is CONVINCED that store bought are safe, but that she will consume dangerous chicken shxt handling my eggs.
Guess she'd rather throw away commercial eggs with salmonella.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i consider all of that to be just extra seasoning, minerals & fiber... i leave it to your imaginations as to what is what. ;)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My two cents. If it is two years old and truly composted there is no manure left in there. It is now compost. But if it smells like manure it is not composted. I've seen some "cow compost" in bags that is still pretty fresh.

Sand is different, it's just bits of rock. Those with delicate stomachs might want to quit reading, but every bit of non-sand dirt out there is rotted flora, rotted fauna, or rotted poop. Bugs, bird, and who knows what else are pooping in your garden and on your veggies and fruit all the time. There are very few pathogens that we are likely to get from them but just rinse the darn stuff off and enjoy it. It is good, especially compared to the stuff from the store.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just wash it.
When I was a kid I worked at a riding stable during the summers. I can't tell you how many pounds of gas station fried chicken I ate with the same grubby hands that had groomed 50 horses not to mention handled sweat stained tack & blankets... and most likely the pitchfork and wheel barrow.

But it you're really that concerned, skip it. You won't enjoy the strawberries.. there will always be the 'ich' factor.

:yuckyuck It really does not bother me that much. Just with all the recall lettuce news, I wanted to make sure I was not being to brave.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of the ecoli outbreaks are due to untrained, illegal help who never are taught proper sanitation. America wants cheap food.

Latest posts