Coyote eradication methods sought

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Red do you know how to shoot ? A rifle might be only answer

Works for me... I pop them all the time here, just like feral hogs.

Coyote1_101114.jpg

Coyote2_101114.jpg

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My neighbor that has the sheep, owned a HUGE Rotty male farm dog. He was lured by a coyote untill the pack killed it while his Border Collie was shacking in his dog house. Neighbor found his head and hide, rest was eathen. Another neighbor about 3 miles away owned a Rhodesian Ridge Back, same fate. How about a Doberman, ditto. I lost 2 HUGE Boxer farm dogs, both killed by coyotes. So what type of farm dog has a chance to kill a pack of coyotes ? You would need a pack of dogs that know how to fight and kill. :idunno
Can you shoot the coyotes? I know in some place you cannot shoot them. It's done in my town all the time. And we are just small farms.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee I wouldn't call Jake a pet, more farm dog.

What constitutes a "pet"? He's a companion working dog, very friendly, obedient, can be taken anywhere indoors or out and be depended upon to behave, great with children and other animals. He's a pet to me but a working one.

My neighbor that has the sheep, owned a HUGE Rotty male farm dog. He was lured by a coyote untill the pack killed it while his Border Collie was shacking in his dog house. Neighbor found his head and hide, rest was eathen. Another neighbor about 3 miles away owned a Rhodesian Ridge Back, same fate. How about a Doberman, ditto. I lost 2 HUGE Boxer farm dogs, both killed by coyotes. So what type of farm dog has a chance to kill a pack of coyotes ? You would need a pack of dogs that know how to fight and kill. :idunno

For one, if you are a single farm dog, the object is not to fight and kill the coyotes, but merely to deter them...a farm dog guards a territory, big or small...usually not too big. The average farm dog running after a pack of coyotes isn't a smart dog in the first place. If a dog can be lured out, he can be killed.

LGD breeds can and will kill coyotes, even working singly, but they are bred for that...Boxers, Dobermans, Ridge Backs? Not meant for the job and those breeds are far, far from their original breeding/purpose...Ridgebacks were supposed to deter lions but if one is getting killed by coyotes, it's not really up to the breed's original worth, is it? Is it possible too that those dogs were not raised outdoors all their lives and grew up guarding against large preds? Dogs that live indoors at night aren't usually too predator savvy.

I knew a fella with a female GP working alone and about once or twice a month she was laying dead coyotes at the gate nearest the house...other than that, she was way out in the fields with the sheep, working.

I always knew when the local pack were getting too close to the coop...Jake would put his back to a corner and bark his warning to them. I could hear his bark sounding like it was in a barrel...that meant he was barking while standing inside the shed porch and his barks were echoing off the tin roof there. Means he'll fight if they come in to him, but he's not going out to chase the pack.

When he has a partner, it's usually a LGD breed or mix, who WILL advance to the boundary and bark aggressively, while Jake stands back by the coop and is silent...he's the back up man, the wing man and he's fierce in a fight. I've never seen him beaten and he's engaged with dogs that outweigh him by a 100 lbs. Jake only chimes in, when he works with a partner, if it's a black bear out there. Other than that, when partnered up, I never hear Jake bark.

It all comes down to there are dogs....and then there are DOGS. I'm sure it also has something to do with how many predators there are in an area, how much food is available for them, how emboldened they are around humans and their dwellings and if they are used to soft house dwelling dogs or tougher specimens. We've got 'yotes here and I hear them calling less than a hundred yards from the house, but I've not met anyone in these parts that had any dogs killed by coyotes.

Latest posts