Coyote eradication methods sought

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Indiana, we lose dogs to them. Now, I haven't checked their DNA as they could be crosses.... I had a pack come into my yard sending a female out to sucker my male to come "play". Luckily I was outside, when he thought he had reinforcements, he went around corner after the female, out jumped 3 others from behind our huge elm tree. I came around corner to see him turning to run back to safety and the coyotes, saw me and they were turning to run from me as here they associate human with guns.... once I knew they were running, I had a great laugh at my big brave dog and what those coyotes had to be thinking they were suckered by my dog to come out of hiding.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
image.jpg
Around these parts coyotes only pack up at night. During the day only ever see one at a time, easy Pickens for dog or gun or run them down on snowmobiles. My uncle owned a half lab half greyhound dog when I was a teen on the farm. It was a coyote killing machine that could run them down and kill them with regularity. It was smart enough patrol around the tractor while working fields because it would put field mice on the run which brought in the coyotes. It could catch a coyote that had a1/4 mile head start with ease and kill it quickly. The dogs name was horse he lived up to it with his running skills. We now have a 1/2 Pyrenees /1/2 Anatolian shepard that never leaves our property but tries all night to call them into our yard. Here is a picture of him with DW above.

Last edited:

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Forgot to mention to check your local Craig's list for a predator or varmint hunter. There is a guy around here advertising on CL for hunting these animals free of charge. I see his ad in the services section and also for sale farm and garden section. Good luck hope you don't lose any animals.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, it is a wireless fence collar from pet safe. No bark collar he up all night barking at every sound and thought I'm thinking. He has a very deep and powerful bark that carries.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, it is a wireless fence collar from pet safe. No bark collar he up all night barking at every sound and thought I'm thinking. He has a very deep and powerful bark that carries.

He's gorgeous!!!! I have one of those too(Anatolian/Maremma/GP mix) and he's currently wearing TWO receivers on his collar. :gig I use the Petsafe wireless for my dogs and have done so for the last 12 yrs....LOVE it.

I agree about the yotes packing up at night...when we see them in the day here they are alone. They give the area around the house a wide berth as these dogs can breach the boundary for a predator like that coming near.

My two chicken dogs...effective against all but black snakes~for some reason they get by them~and Great Horned Owls that work outside the dog's boundary area. If they come into the boundary they get confronted...Ben had a tangle with one last year and got a nice cut on his muzzle.

Ben the White and Jake the Brown...and white. :D

100_5421.jpg
100_5556.jpg

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm late to this conversation - and the fencing has probably already been picked out and started... but here's my $.02

My girls 'free range' inside a 50' x 100' pen. One day soon, it's going to stretch to 100' x 100'. It's 6' high so that I can have a netting (made from a web of fishing line) from post-top to post-top and never have to worry about ducking.
I use welded wire with 2"x3" openings.
1.jpg
I recently had to install electric wire around it to keep the barn cat out (of all things).
I used extenders to hold the wire several inches off of the fence - so that he HAD to touch it - no stepping over.
11.jpg
For the cat, a single line about half way up the fence did the trick. That way, he had to be climbing, but wasn't so high that a panicked leap was going to hurt him. I would suggest a line low - 6" or so to discourage digging and another one about a foot from the top to make them jump before they're close enough to go over the top.
Go ahead and get a charger meant for livestock fences not the ones meant to keep a dog in the backyard. You will want enough of a punch that it will put a person on their knees if you're trying to make a hungry animal forget about chicken dinners.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Go ahead and get a charger meant for livestock fences not the ones meant to keep a dog in the backyard. You will want enough of a punch that it will put a person on their knees if you're trying to make a hungry animal forget about chicken dinners.
TRUE!! Where I used to keep my horses the farmer got tired of fixing his fences (lost his appetite for fixing his property LONG before I arrived to rent space), so he put electric fencing (2-3,000 volts suggested) on the inside of my turnout. WAAYYYY too often I'd hit it and it runs right through you. Anybody with a heart problem or a pacemaker would be in a world of hurt if they touched it. The horses could smell it. They could also smell when the circuit was off, and I found my older pony once with a piece of wire wound round his l back pastern. :somad Good thing he was older and calm or else he probably would have seriously injured himself. Instead I was able to get it off of him without any harm.
Consider a solar backup in the case that you lose your power bc then the wire is worthless.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Found this:
https://www.deerbusters.com/chicken...om=googleppc&gclid=CKCtq7PxhtUCFYNGXgod10EMAg
but I don't see how you manage to not zap and kill your birds, too. I was thinking electric on the outside of the enclosure. I also think I'd put a string of barbed wire, too. I have thought about using the extra barbed wire that I have, now that I don't need to keep fixing my horse's (old cattle) fencing anymore.

Latest posts