Coyote eradication methods sought

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am dog lover from the word go.. herding dogs where my first love ... greyhound, borzoi and standard poodles among my favorites
over the years so we have 5 dogs here two would be coyote bate. three can take care of each other labrador Moose, Fear-ah gsd now Snow the great Pyrenees.. has been no hunt here no sign of coyote or racoon thankfully... Ma would tell a story of her back when we were little there had been a coyote down by the house she had Grand Dads rifle sitting at that window gonna get money for the pelt.. coyote howled right under the window startled her she shot a whole through the roof

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I lived out in the sticks, I lost 2 roosters and a hen, several days apart. There is thinking among some chicken people that a rooster is only good for making trouble and - sacrificing himself for the hens. I think that is about right. I never had a rooster after that but if'n I would have had 3 then, I probably wouldn't have lost that hen.

Anyway, the coyote came over the fence into the pen one time. We all should know that chicken wire fencing to keep chickens in or out won't work for anything other than chickens.

The coyote came back yet again and I saw him through a front window. Went out the backdoor with the 22. Around the corner of the house ... I was a very good shot with that 22. Nothing. He ran.

Let the dog out and walked out where he was. A little beyond, the dog found something on the ground. Fresh blood. The bullet passed completely through him.

Went back for the gun but my stockdog was afraid of guns so she was not going to lead me to him. I walked into the woods but couldn't find any sign of him. The right dog for the job was not my little Aussie shepherd/blue heeler.

At least, the coyote didn't come back and I lost no more chickens to predators.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hadn't had time to read through the whole thread, so I hope I'm not being redundant, but I really recommend PoultryNet electric fences. I have 3 and it has completely solved my stray dog problem and my girls can still free-range. I am able to move and install the fence myself easily and it doesn't take much more than 15-30 minutes. In 3 years now, I have not lost a chicken to anything other than a couple banties to a hawk. They are recommended to keep out coyotes as well. It is very important that you check and maintain the voltage on the fence, keep the fence lines mowed. Takes 3000V to be effective and mine usually runs 7000V.

Here's a BYC page on it as well...

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am surprised at how healthy and beautiful they are.

They are usually pretty healthy here, although they can get mangy-looking during the hot weather. I even did a full body mount a few years ago & he now resides in the family room with a number of my mounts. Here's a picture of him while I was finishing the mount...

2010_Coyote_1.jpg