Dandelions-Not A Weed! I made Tea! pg 3

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are many plants that look similar to true Dandelion. So be careful.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I did some Googling, and I think your tall dandelions may be Smooth Hawksbeard, Crepis capillaris (or one of several other Hawksbeards -- all edible), which has basal rosette leaves that look very much like dandelions, but the flowers are borne on branched stems, which the dandelions don't do. It is very closely related to plain old dandelions though, Taraxacum officinale.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
:plbbBay's not eating dandelions....so funny.... I know they are related but they aren't dandelions....... love it.

Do you want some REAL dandelion seeds????? :):frow:weee

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I did some Googling, and I think your tall dandelions may be Smooth Hawksbeard, Crepis capillaris (or one of several other Hawksbeards -- all edible), which has basal rosette leaves that look very much like dandelions, but the flowers are borne on branched stems, which the dandelions don't do. It is very closely related to plain old dandelions though, Taraxacum officinale.
Journey I think you are right! They look to be the Crepis Capillaris. I looked at the links you provided, then googled for more. They are in the dandelion family, the flowers made some good jelly, good wine and good tea.

I still think of them as a desirable plant. The sheep love them and they make a good forage plant in the pasture. The chickens love the leaves too.

I guess I'll go dig some of the low squatty dandelions I see around here, but I sure like these pseudo dandelions a lot better!

@seedcorn :smack

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually made dandelion jelly-way too much work. I've had dandelion greens, strong but OK.

SHTF?

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Quote baymule: murky, alge, pond water green~ Listen to this: Hi, Would you like to come over for a cupa Alge, pond water green tea?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a tall variety with a blue flower. Endive is, I'm told, a dandelion.

images
images

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
images
I've never had this one, the root looks great doesn't it?

All types are worth having.

Serves as Diuretic. Dandelion root has a natural diuretic effect, allowing your liver to more quickly eliminate toxins. It also helps strengthen the immune system, balance blood sugar levels, relieve heartburn and soothe digestive issues.

Latest posts