Dandelions-Not A Weed! I made Tea! pg 3

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just one more reason for the neighbors to think I've totally lost it. I love it! Thank you Bay I'm going to start stocking up so I can make dandelion jelly (cause we don't make enough already lol) Seriously we probably process a combined average of around 100 quarts of berries a year.

Thank you thank you thank you!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does dandelion jelly taste like honey to everyone else? If so, will give it a whirl.

Dandelion pizza will be given a try as well

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
At least we are willing to try new things, Seedcorn.

. . . and, learn from our mistakes!

Dang, that stuff nearly brings tears to my eyes and we are supposed to eat it raw in a salad. Now, I've had pretty good dandelion greens before but, have had to do like Hoodat suggests and pour off the 1st water. It would probably work for the arugula too but . . . as a salad ingredient?!

Bay' what about lamb's quarters and red-root pigweed? Sorrel? Any experience there? Sorrel (snicker), Bay (snicker).

S'

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
No Steve, (snicker)
No experience with lambs quarters (tasty, but lamb is so high and I can't have sheep in city limits), sorrel (I have a sorrel horse, does that count?), red root pigweed (huh?) snicker, snicker.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now, don't go chewing on that sorrel horse! See, that's probably Bay's problem, her horse & mules are eating all of her weeds for her ;).

Sorrel, I don't know much about. It isn't a common weed around here. I just found a little patch of it invading a garden when I had one along the banks of the river. Maybe where it likes to live. Here is a little something from WiseGeek about sorrel. I suppose I should have tried it in a soup: http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-sorrel.htm

Lambs quarters and pigweed are supposedly related but they can't be too close. They are both very tasty greens and, usually, so common that you can have a hard time beating them back with a stick (or hoe). Everyone who has an opportunity to try them at the table - should!

Lambs quarters is a cousin to spinach. Pigweed is an amaranth and so, 2nd cousin to beets and chard.

Steve :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Watch out for that sorrel. The sour taste can perk up a salad in small amounts but if you have any problems with kidneys (especially kidney stones) leave it out. Sorrel contains oxalic acid which can crystalize and collect in the kidneys.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ouch!

I've wondered about the oxalic acid in rhubarb - if there is enuf in the stems to make problems for some people . . .

Sorrel doesn't seem to show up much of anywhere around here but I see little patches of it now and then.

I thought about taking a picture today of my self-inflicted weed. The purple orache reseeds itself (with my blessings) in great numbers but the plants are still small. I've got quite a patch of them in the last bed to cultivate and sow. Orache is really close to spinach in flavor & tenderness but the purple color is sensational! It will be the first veggie out of those gardens. I have to move some of it around so it doesn't all get trampled!

Steve :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok Steve, tell me about this purple orache.

Latest posts