Dang I feel dumb.....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@bobm A very mild family pet that will never hurt anything, in a pack situation becomes just that a pack animal that will kill whatever they can.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Great Pyrenees is genetically programmed to guard livestock. Not all GP's make good livestock guard dogs, some will attack. Training. Training. Training. It took me 2 years to reverse what her previous owners did. I had to start all over when we got sheep, she wanted to hit 'em like a bulldozer. Now she loves them and even stays right by the ewes when they give birth. Training. Training. Training. Plus being the right breed to do so.

A grown dog that kills livestock is barely worth the bullet for their brain, IMO. I agree with @bobm. Some dogs know they are doing wrong, as they will not misbehave when they know their people are watching. But let no one be around and it is death to the livestock. Such dogs should be destroyed. We sold our mule recently as I finally had enough of her wanting to stomp to death anything that wasn't a horse.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
People abandon dogs out here way too often, especially when it's free to just take them to the pound, animal shelter, whatever is the correct term this week. If they kill or harass livestock they normally get shot, the dogs that is. I've done that. It's certainly not a pleasant thing to do since it's not really their fault, it's the fault of the dummy that dropped them off. But once they have learned that behavior I do it. When I notice an abandoned dog before it has learned that behavior and I know it's been abandoned, I've been know to take them to the pound myself. Those can often be adopted.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
An ex-coworker of mine had so many dogs left in his farm driveway and others wander by that he started shooting on sight. Oh Dear. Occasionally someone would come by and ask if he had seen their dog. His reply was if the collar is not on the shed. No I have not. :ep

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
German 215]@bobm[/USER] A very mild family pet that will never hurt anything, in a pack situation becomes just that a pack animal that will kill whatever they can.[/QUOTE]years ago, one of my neighbors lost 147 feeder lambs to a pack of dogs consisting of a German Shepherd, a Black Lab, a Poodle, and 4 mixed breed dogs between 15 and 30 pounds. I helped the neighbor along with the Sheriff to track down and shoot all of these dogs.
Luckily for the neighbor all but one of the dogs had collars with tags . The court awarded the neighbor TRIPLE damages for the loss of his lambs.

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
People abandon dogs out here way too often, especially when it's free to just take them to the pound, animal shelter, whatever is the correct term this week. If they kill or harass livestock they normally get shot, the dogs that is. I've done that. It's certainly not a pleasant thing to do since it's not really their fault, it's the fault of the dummy that dropped them off. But once they have learned that behavior I do it. When I notice an abandoned dog before it has learned that behavior and I know it's been abandoned, I've been know to take them to the pound myself. Those can often be adopted.
If you happen to live in Oregon or Washington the local "rescues" charge you $100 "surrender fee" to drop off a dog even if it isn't yours, as they have the notion that you will claim that the dog isn't yours . But since they know better regarding your honesty, they charge the fee. So ...

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
pretty sucky yes but true dogs in a pack like your speak of will
kill with wild abandon

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here rescues charge to take in animal. animal control takes in free. Rescue is run private ,animal control run by government
When the rescues drive out county animal control because they allow to destroy their dogs and cats after a period of time so they are cruel and inhumane and so the rescues are now the only game in town and are free to shake one and all down at their will.

Latest posts