Dang I feel dumb.....

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I get my dogs chipped. When my JRT went missing I checked all the local vets and animal control, shelters etc.and found nothing.
But I was pretty sure from the start that the coyotes got him, because he took off in the evening after I heard coyotes in the woods across the road. :hit

When the new neighbors built their house and moved in, the kids found his dog coat and skull while they were out exploring the property.

But it's nice to know that if they got lost and someone found them it would be easier to get them back having chips.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I once had a tiny Pomeranian that was about a pound. He thought he was a Pit Bull until the Pit Bull next door got a hold of him. It was over so fast he never had a chance.

My dog that came up missing after being locked on my porch was a spade lab/border collie. She was just a year and a half old. We had her since she was a few weeks old. It broke all our hearts. Now we have a 7-year old Chihuahua my sister decided she was tired of and 2 mutts someone dropped off on the road. One looked like a skeleton with fur when we got him. I do have to keep them locked up away from my chickens because they have been pretty hard on the population. I now have 5 pullets. I wish I could find another family for them but for some reason no one wants a chicken killing dog. They are really good with my grandson and make good watchdogs. Possums don't have a chance.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They can be broke of killing chickens.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with Seed. I got my BMD from my neighbors who breed them.
Her mom and dad kill any livestock that has the bad idea of jumping out of it's pen. So far, chickens and goats.

Their daughter, my dog, however is perfect around my animals, and the chickens can free range loose in the yard, and even go in the dog run and eat her food.
She was just taught early on that she needs to respect my animals and seems to understand that I have zero tolerance for aggression towards family animals.
I think the difference is consistent handling and a high expectation for obedience.

The job is tougher when you inherit a dog that's grown and has already killed chickens, but it's possible, as Nyboy pointed out, Bay succeeded with her Pyr.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So Seed, now that we have completely derailed your thread,
I'd like to say I'm really glad you found your seeds and those dang Yankees will probably show up soon. :D

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule broke her dog of killing chickens
Sadly, only very few dogs can truly be rehabed from killing livestock. Some dogs will finally not kill their owners' livestock , but next door neighbors' livestock continue to be fair game. .22 is the only true cure. This is from my lifelong experience in livestock farming as well as those that depend on livestock for their entire livelyhood.

Latest posts