Dang you Tractor Supply

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was very happy when the local one started, it saves me a 75 mile drive to the minor metro. The lady has a green thumb, doesn't speak many words of English but all four of her kids have graduated valedictorian, a proud momma. Keeps an array of healthy looking things and lots of fun garden pots and art. Lots of sales. Many of the things I haven't seen anywhere else so I think she does a lot of her own propagation. About the only thing they don't have are soils & amendments or seeds, but that's not really a problem. Can't wait to see what's new this year.

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yep they got me. Bought 2 roses, a Texas yellow (DW is a big fan of yellow roses so was a no brainer) and Blue Girl. Couldn't pass them up at $7 a piece. Yes thanks a lot you got me. So mow they are in the basement waiting for a good thaw and I'm looking at possible locations.
Are those tea roses? As pretty as they are I won't buy them because they just won't survive zone 4. So I"ve got a few rugosa types and a hardy Canadian or two. Last time I went and bought a regular rose, it was one of those Knock outs, it didn't even make it to winter. I suppose it was just faulty or something.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@swampducks Texas yellow is not a hybrid tea, It's a shrub rose with floribunda type blooms. The other varieties yes are hybrid teas.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I you like yellow roses, you should get yourself a knockout yellow. I have one, it is NO WORK, except Spring pruning, it was 3 1/2 ft. tall/wide last summer, and every time you walk close to it, it is wafting sweetness. :love

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can get nearly any rose variety in an own root version. Then if it freezes back to the ground the new growth is the one you bought, not a root stock.
Theoretically you can also make your own own rooted roses by taking a cutting. I say theoretical because I haven't tried it, just read about it online. Where everything is true. ;)