Digging into February

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I admire anybody, like here and my Eldest DD, who can bury themselves in a work of fiction. I am a non-fiction reader primarily, and I get my reading fix now mostly online, and picking bits and pieces out of hard/soft cover non fiction books.
I have been able to do some summertime chores this winter that I would never have the time to do April-November. For instance, my mare's 13 ft gate, which is the door to her 8' x 13' stall has always sagged. I had a cinder block to rest the end on. I bought this gate wheel apparatus that clamps to the end of a gate, is adjustable, and tightens with carriage bolts, with an 8 inch wheel. It only took me bout 20 minutes to put it on the stall, but I BOUGHT it last November.
Another project that took only 15 minutes to complete was fixing my 5 nest boxes. The coop is a pre fab and I'm happy with most of it, but the nest box openings INto the coop are shallow and the hens keep knocking the bedding out of them, leaving a hard wooden surface, something that they don't like. So, I bought 2 small entrance rugs, took them into the coop yesterday after cleaning it, along with a barn knife, and cut them to fit. Now, they are nice and soft and should be easy enough to clean when necessary. I blew $3.74 on my birds.
I have some sewing projects to finish before I continue to dig on my hotbed. It's been in the 60's for two days straight and looks like we may have an early Spring.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sweetpea......I like that better than southerner. It's on order of "bless your heart". For those that don't know that is a southern phrase. I'll let one of them tell you what it really means....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
"bless your heart" Or more properly said......"Why, bless your lil' ol' pea-pickin' huh-art" which can mean a multitude of things, depending on the situation and to whom you are speaking. ;)

Way to go Mary!! :thumbsup Send me a slice of that bread!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sweetpea is my nickname for my sweet mare. It really is a sign of affection.
Some where there is a southerner laughing. Although sweet pea is not by itself a negative term.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sweetpea is those green peas that Southerners call English peas and Northerners just call peas. REAL peas are black-eyes, purple hulls, lady cream peas, red ripper, crowder...........:lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sweetpea >>
6b3d9fea7dc63e7956486af79161551b.jpg

:)

Latest posts